Existing Member?

New Zealand A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~Lao Tzu

Made it!

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [420] | Comments [4]

After a very long day (days?) of flying, complete with multiple delays, I have made it to Auckland.  Now it's time to get my bearings and figure out transportation. 

Flying into Sydney was so exciting! Apparently I was on the wrong side of the plane, however.  My view was beautiful, but the folks on the left side saw the opera house twice and I still have yet to see it.  Pictures of that will have to wait a few months.

Landing in Auckland was fairly smooth and uneventful--also pretty, but it was dark when I finally got there, so I'll have to find ways to see it from the ground now.

On my trip here I spent a good deal of time with an older woman who, coincidentally, also was named Monica.  She went through the same delays as I did, only she had been coming from Vancouver!  By the end of the trip, when her luggage had not arrived despite her multiple checks and double checks that it would be on our plane, she was not a happy camper.  She was quite friendly to me, however, and shared her cab to the city. 

My hostel is in downtown, though I haven't explored much yet.  I have a roommate from Colorado who is just about finished with a three-month trip, and a roommate from Malaysia who is just starting as well.  Both of them were very friendly. 

Well, I'm off to figure out my options!

Tags: Airports

 

Comments

1

Yay! So glad to hear you've arrived safely - it's quite a journey. I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures :-).
Snugs,Mom

  Lorna Gill Dec 1, 2007 2:57 PM

2

Checking in often and so good to read of friendly people . . . and that all went well so far ...

Love, Aunt Betty

  Aunt Betty Dec 2, 2007 12:45 AM

3

Glad to hear you're off and running, not to mention safe and getting situated! Life is an adventure, yet so many of us settle for the predictable, for what is safe. While part of me worries for you, another part envies you, while all of my heart goes with you!

  Dad Dec 3, 2007 2:16 PM

4

Hello! I'm so excited for you! And...glad that everything has gone okay so far. You know you're in my prayers! I can't wait to do experimental cooking when you get back!

  Cristin Dec 4, 2007 2:17 AM

About monica_gill


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.