Existing Member?

Moin's magical mystery tour Hi di ho all.

Cambodia and Ko Chang

THAILAND | Sunday, 30 September 2007 | Views [1124] | Comments [3]

Arrived in Cambodia crossing the border at Poipet. Poipet is like a forntier town and as gambling is illegal in Thailand, Cambodia has set up large casinos and hotels on the border to give Thai gamblers their fix. Rich a guy whom I met in Ko Phangnan was also on the bus so travelled with him for 3 days.

I suffered a bit of a culture shock corssing the border. Wentthrough Thai immigration and then had to walk about 250 meteres to the Cambodian immigration post. During this walk the rest of the bus passengers were confronted by laods of beggers, predominantly kids. One of whom tried to pickpocket me. I could see what he was doing as he tried to cover his left hand which was doing the 'picking' with a baseball cap. Luckily, I had buttons on my pockets and he was unable to open them.

It started to rain cats and dogs as well and the drains in Cambodia seem to work in reverse so after a few minutes my feet were submerged in water.

Finally got through Cambodian immigration and then had to wait a couple of hours for the bus to take us to SiemReap (allpart of the Bangkok to Siem Reap bus scam where they make the journey as ardous as possible and then take you to a guesthouse that's paid them commission). Exchnaged 6000 Baht into Cambodian Riel and was given so much in exchange that my wallet wouldn't close. If only it was like that in England ;-).

The bus journey was the worst I have travelled. Thai airways pays the Cambodian Peoples Party money NOT to develop the road so that people are put off and fly from Bangkok. This should be one of their priorities as Angkor is a tourism goldmine. The less than 300 km journey took about 7 hours. i tried to sleep on the bus, but the pot holes kept making my teeth rattle. Saw an overturned truck, an articulated lorry that had come apart from its trailer and the bus almost got stuck in the mud at one point. A taxing experience, but I saw loads of fireflies en route so not all bad.

Finally got ot Siam Reap and the guesthouse the bus took us too wasn't too bad, but went to one recommended by lonely planet.

The next day Rich and I went to Angkor Thom, which is amazing. I was a bit trigger happy and will have pics on here shortly (already on facebook).

The day after went to Ta Prohm a few other temples in the Angkor complex and saved the best, Angkor Wat, for last. The whole place is amazing. We took 2 days to see it, but i could have stayed there for a week. Wnet out all night and then caught the bus to Phnom Penn. First impressions of Phnom Penn (PP) weren't good. Our bus stop in PP was a petrol station and before we even got off you could see about ten tuktuk drivers and moto drivers vying for our business. PLus we were tired so that didn't help.

We stayed by the lakeside which is surprisingly chilled, with a few good restuarants. Then went to the Killing fields, which are very sad. I felt sick after seeing all the skulls and bones and although it sounds hypocritical we went to a shooting range afterwards. The shooting range was brilliant!!!! such a buzz and made me feel better after firing a few bullets from a Tommy gun, K50 and shotgun. looking forward to firing an AK47 in Vietnam. Quality pics to come shortly.

The next day I went to S21 - or Tol Sleung. This is a harrowing place that used to be a school, before the Khmer rouge converted it into a prison and centre of torture and execution. Sickening!! Met 2 monks though, 2 and 7 (that's not how you spell their names, but it is how you pronoune them). I've always eanted to talk to a Buddhist monk and the monks in Cambodia are very chatty and want to practice their English so they took me for a tour of the museum, which was cool....and free ;-)

Afterwards, went to an orphanage near to S-21, called World Hope Cambodia (WHC) and played with the kids, taught them a bit of English/Geography for a few days in PP. The director, Mr. Priep Nura, has also set up an orphanage in Kandol provinceI donated some money which bought exercise books and pens for 200 kids in Kandol, plus a little left over for some more stationary.

Kondol was good! the village we went to is off the beaten track so chuffed with that. Saw rural Cambodian life and played volleyball with the kids too. This is the most rewarding thing I've done and it was such a joy seeing the kids happy faces. Will definieitly go back to Cambodia one day to check on WHC's progress. Returned to Phnom Penh and did a final day at WHC. Was very sad saying bye to the kids. they were all so sweet and even though a lot of them are in their ealry teens, some of the kids were very small due to their poordiet prior to coming to the orphanage.

You get many kids selling you books here or begging, but if you give them a little food they are so thankful.

Back in Thailand now after an annoying border crossing. Found out Ko Wai, where I'm supposed to be meeting my mate Alex, is shut. Therefore, I'm on Ko Chang, met some cool people here and just chilling in my hammock as the weather isn't the best, but still humid.

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Hi Moin,

Great to hear you are having such a wonderful time. Makes my life sound soooo boring. The most interesting thing that has happened in my life recently is our new fitted wardrobes and we have painted the bedroom!

Rich, Liz, Ian and Nicole came over on the weekend. Nicole got so drunk that she was almost unable to walk and spent most of the night blaming John for drinking all the vodka. It was clear that see had obviously drunk almost the entire contents as she had her head stuck down the toilet (showing her thong).

Thank you for the post card I have put it on the wall.

Hear from you soon.
John send his love.

Beth x

  Beth Oct 15, 2007 7:41 PM

2

hi there
i went to a sound chamber in cambodia
where you beat your hear and the sound can be heard
all around, so do you know about it???
any info would be great, thank you..
belinda

  Belinda Simmons Jan 2, 2008 5:15 PM

3

hi again this is belinda<br>if anyone knows about this here is my email<br>bellindasimmons@hotmail.com<br>thanks to you... soz Belinda.I don't know anything about a sound chamber, but it sounds cool. Have you tried googling it. cheers M

  belinda Jan 2, 2008 5:17 PM

About moineyboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.