Existing Member?

life changing encounter

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 23 March 2012 | Views [294] | Scholarship Entry

I reside in one of the most beautiful resort towns in the world. The place where the majestic Zambezi River flows into the most breath-taking waterfall the Victoria Falls situated in Zimbabwe. Many tourists describe their trips to this small town in Africa as a once in a lifetime experience. I count myself amongst the lucky few who have the privilege of waking up to the roar of the Mighty Falls, an everyday phenomenon that presents a life altering experience to say the least. Living in this town I have had many experiences that have transformed my life considerably, walking past a warthog wondering about looking for food with no fear or being graced by the presence of baboons occupying the trees in our yard. I would just sit and watch the baboons and their babies play around the yard, their carefree lifestyle , the bond between a mother and baby baboon with the baby clinging on to its mother’s belly seeking protection, food and love. I experienced these animals in a different way each day, seeing how they had adapted to living with human beings, the peaceful nature in their daily lives each species going about their business one would not be a fool to think that world peace could be achieved if this unique relationship could be emulated throughout the world. Living in this town is a life changing experience on its own, dwelling next to Africa’s most incredible natural wonder the Victoria Falls and being surrounded by animals freely roaming around is only something some people could dream of. I always took for granted the fact that I lived in this small town with little development, not knowing my stay there would mean I would have a different outlook on life in comparison to the people in the big cities. i cannot pin point an exact event that changed my life but my daily experiences living in this town have truly altered my way of thinking.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About moenaledi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.