Existing Member?

A little lost... a little found

Fun Facts about our SE Asia Trip (Part 1)

INDONESIA | Friday, 8 February 2013 | Views [485] | Comments [1]

Travel Info:

1. Countries Visited (So far): Thailand (11 days), Malaysia (6 days), Singapore (1 day), Indonesia (5 days)

2. Cities/Islands Visited: Bangkok (1 day), Koh Tao (4 days), Koh Phangnan (4 days), Kuala Lumpur (1 day), Kuching (Borneo) (4 days), Singapore (1 day), Kuta (Bali) (2 days), Ubud (Bali) (3 days)....where to next?? no idea!

3.Transportation: 4 buses, 2 night trains, 4 flights, 3 ferries, 5 tuk tuks, 10+ taxis

4. Most useful items brought: Smartphone/toilet paper

Interesting Moments:

1. Cutest moment: Baby monkeys in Ubud (Bali)

2. Luckiest moment: Seeing the largest (and smelliest flower) in the world. It is from the Genus Rafflesia and is parasitic to only one species of jungle vine. It actually smells exactly like rotten meat (strongest on the second day of blooming, even though some locals believe that the stench increases with time) and can grow to over one meter in diameter. It blooms for one week every 2 1/2 years. It is pollinated by beetles and carion flies (attracted to odour). Pollination is extremely rare. It requires that a male and female plant grow in close proximity to each other and that a fly or beetle visits the male flower and then the female flower. The flower has been extensively studied and very little is known about its biology.

3. Most fascinating moment: Learning about head-hunters in Borneo and getting to use a blow pipe that was well over 300 years old and took over a year to make.

4. Michele's most memorable moment: Watching a rare variety of sea turtle forage on coral underwater (on Koh Tao, Thailand).

5. Danny's most memorable moment: Waterfall fall massage without getting inappropriately touched by a man. (near Kuching, Borneo).

6. Danny's most memorable meal: Barricuda at Mantra Bar, near Legian, Bali.

7. Danny's least memorable meal: Tuna on Koh Tao (Thailand)

8. Michele's most memorable meal: I don't know...some sort of salad or tofu.

9. Michele's dumbest moment: Leaving her phone at a restaurant.

11. Danny's dumbest moment: Forgetting his bag was in the x-ray machine and leaving security...had fun getting it back!!!

11. Danny's dumbest moment #2: Booking our first train for the wrong day (worked out pretty well though!!)

12. Michele's most terrifying moment: Danny informing Michele rather nonchalantly that there might be a leech on her ankle...and there was!! Michele literally jumped out of her socks...well she had to take her sock off to get the leech off and she was hopping around on one foot...hilarious!

12. Danny's most terrifying moment: Hearing the bamboo rustle behind him and thinking it was a deadly Orangutan, pushing Michele out of the way and running as fast as he could to our machete-wielding bush guide (those Orangutans can really mess you up man).

13. Most expensive city (by far): Singapore

14. Most bang for your buck (so far): Ubud (Bali)...also the best food!

15. Most depressing moment: Watching a 12-year old get beaten by his father at an internet cafe in Surathani.

16. Most confushing moment: Walking-in on Michele and about half dozen other people watching our friend pee in his pants (on purpose...I later found out)...at the full moon party.

17. Best party: Jungle Party! Michele got her shirt taken off by two of our friends in the same night! (This could also be classified as Michele's most confusing moment).

18. Most expensive accommodations: $30 (night train to Chumpon)

19. Least expensive accommodations: $3.50 (our first night in Bangkok...what a winner that was!)

Pictures to Follow!!!

 

 

Comments

1

Great post! Very interesting and the point form caters to my short attention span. Miss you Michele!

Was Danny pushing you out of danger from the potential orangutan? Or pushing you out of his way?? lol. Too bad they're so dangerous, they're so cute.)

  Cheryl Feb 20, 2013 6:49 AM

About mmanddb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.