Existing Member?

A little lost... a little found

One day weekend, shopping and vaca

CHINA | Friday, 21 September 2012 | Views [398] | Comments [1]

WOAH I’m getting worse at this blogging thing. Sorry everyone! Thanks to those still checking. So we are still alive and starting to live life again! Both of us have colds now though :( but a little more free time, yay! 

So updates updates... Hmm, well we have been doing pretty much the same, we survived our one-day weekend, it really sucked to work Saturday. Did not stop us from going out and having a good time Saturday night though. There were a few birthdays to be celebrated so we went to this dance club in Hankou, which is one of the three city’s that merged to become Wuhan. It is across the river and 45 minutes away and the taxi was 71yuan!!! It shocks you at first and then you remember that is only around 11 dollars. Even though we live here we still sort of feel like tourists and don’t care what people think of us. This means we all usually end up dancing and/or singing and getting lots of locals up and having a good time where ever we go. Everyone stares at us anyway, so why not have a good time right? 

School is going well, although we now have clubs and tutorials and other things after school so the day gets a bit longer. We are also both going to mandarin classes on Wednesday. One of the Chinese teachers is teaching a bunch of us. I really like the language and I think I have the tones down, its just hard to remember when to use which one. The hardest part are the letters that sound so similar and then there is j, which is a sound we don’t have in English. Anyway we can see how the taxi’s never know what we are saying when we give them the places we need to go. I have a new respect for Chinese people who come to Canada not knowing any English. The people here must think we sound so ridiculous. 

Went on an adventure right after writing the last blog to east lake to this botanical garden. It is not the season for the garden but we rode on this sketchy chairlift and got a cool view of the city over the lake. It was pretty smoggy though so not the greatest view. We went because there was this awesome slide you could ride down through the gardens but when we got to the top it was closed, but no one understood us when we tried to ask if it would open again. They just kept pointing us toward the slide, it was quite annoying. So we eventually just took the chairlift down. We were disappointed about the slide so we decided to eat at this floating restaurant that had hundreds of koi fish (see pictures). 

After, Danny and I went tot the mall to try to find me some shoes. This was quite the task. Whenever I am shopping I feel like a giant. Only a few shoes even come in my size (woman’s 8) and I’m usually the biggest size of clothing, an xl or xxl. When I walk into stores I can just see the girls working there looking at me thinking, ‘Is she kidding?’ Haha you have to just laugh, it’s China. We did end up finding shoes at this department store that sold American brands, but they were still the biggest size. 

We are both very excited because today we finally booked tickets for our week off! (We leave in 7 days!!!!!) We are going to Guilin, which is a paradise (we hear). It’s on the 20 yuan note so it must be pretty cool. We are traveling with 7 other people, so should be a great trip, it’s a good group. Everyone wants to have a good time and a few adventures, which I’m sure Danny can get us (hopefully not too scary though). 

Comments

1

Hello! We love your updates :) It sounds like you guys are having an awesome time and we love hearing the stories! Are you doing some sort of Thanksgiving next week? Also, we are wondering if we send you letters will China let them into the country or is mail monitored too? Miss you guys! xoxo

  Kristen and Dan Sep 29, 2012 3:15 PM

About mmanddb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.