Existing Member?

Canadian Gems

Canadian Rockies Icefields Parkway

CANADA | Tuesday, 12 May 2015 | Views [101] | Scholarship Entry

You truly can experience all seasons in one day on the Icefields Parkway. Stretching 144 miles through the heart of the Canadian Rockies and spanning two National Parks, the route provides something spectacular for every traveler, capturing my heart on my very first visit there with it's wild flowing rivers, heart-stopping waterfalls and mountain views that literally will take your breath away. The scale of the mountains can only be truly appreciated, however from the air or from the rivers that flow through the glacial valleys. With opportunities to take flights in both the Banff and Jasper areas, over the Rockies, it is then that you can begin to calculate the sheer vastness and isolation of the these mountain ranges, the glaciers that carve their shape and the high altitude lakes left behind. For those with a smaller budget, albeit with a stronger stomach, rafting along the Athabasca River in the north, or Bow River in the south provides a unique way to connect with the wild environment of the Rockies. There are many places along the Parkway which will provide even the most hardened traveler with the 'wow' factor. None more so than Peyto Lake located in Banff National Park. A natural glacial fed lake, the water contains high quantities of glacial 'flour' and this rock dust suspends in the water, giving a unique turquoise colour in the bright mountain sunshine. The best place to enjoy the full spectacle that Peyto Lake offers is from Bow Summit - the highest point on the Icefields Parkway. It is virtually impossible not to feel a connection with nature whilst travelling the Icefields Parkway, where brown bears wander freely and moose are often spotted! The experiences on offer at the Columbia Icefields Glacier Discovery Centre are designed, however, to ensure that all visitors understand the impact glaciers have on the surrounding landscape, as well as the global impact humans are having. Taking a trip out onto the Athabasca Glacier is not just a thrill in the giant glacier buses, it is a rare privilege, as it continues to shrink due to rising global temperatures.
While it is possible to travel the Parkway in one day, there are some many opportunities along the way to stop and enjoy, it would be prudent for any traveler to take their time and enjoy the wonders on offer. Staying in either Banff or Jasper provides a suitable base to take trips out along parts of the Parkway, to fully experience the wonders of this Canadian jewel!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mjhadlow


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.