Existing Member?

Footprints and Sailing

Day 8 - arrive in Phuket

THAILAND | Saturday, 9 July 2011 | Views [468]

Day 8 – arrive in Phuket We had two fairly short flights each with a snack so we weren’t hungry at all when we arrived. We had booked a private car to pick us up at the airport – there was a wee man with our name on it………..and so we jumped into our Mercedes – piling the entire luggage in the boot! The driver spoke zero English so it was a one way conversation for J in the front. We are staying in the North of the Island and it looked as if we were the sole occupants in the hotel we are in – The Piraya………..and with the staff not understanding English, communication has been the only problem so far. We went down and sat on the beach and swam in the waves – very strong around here at this time of year apparently. The sand is very course – great for exfoliating the feet – oops whole body – as you cannot escape the water without dredging out a kilo of stones with you! We then watched the sunset at the bar and waited for our drinks – it was happy hour after all – for fifteen minutes. Payment of drinks had to be calculated carefully because the staff had to be reminded about the happy hour prices! At reception on arrival we were told wine was included in the 50% deal – but that turned out not to be the case – so we negotiated a 20% reduction! I guess we will have to watch.. We bumbled (a stroll – for the peeps out there who are not from Somerset) back to our room, where a cup of tea was in order and listen to music……so we thought – Y – who had had one pina colada too many was in a dancing mood – so we all boogied – well neerees – Y and K had a pillow fight! Just as well there is one sensible member in this tour group –haha – tongue in cheek! During the night we were interrupted by the wheelie of trolleys as half of China descended upon us – well at least we won’t be the only ones here for day 9.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.