Existing Member?

I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list

Chernigov. One day. A lot of impressions.

UKRAINE | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [67] | Scholarship Entry

It was my first "serious" tour. The turning point. I have traveled a lot. But those tours were organized by travel agency. But that time I invited my friend to create our own tour progmam.
So, the story started at the Kiev railway station. We traveled to Chernihiv most economical variant - by electric train. Of course we took the cheapest tickets (3 class). About an hour after departure a man entered to our wagon. He smelt very “pleasant”. People had been asking him to get out because the stench was unbearable. But everything was in vain. And then we got our first positive impression of the journey – the conductor allowed all passengers to move in wagons of the first and the second class! And for two hours we had been travelling in comfort.
We arrived in Chernihiv at 21 p. m. We had two options for the night: Couchsurfing and hostel. But, unfortunately, when we phoned no one answered. The perspectives to find ourselves in a strange town at midnight are not attractive. We were walking along the cent of the city hoping to find a cosy night cafe, but we hadn’t managed (to do it) and we had to go back to the station. To say that we were grieved when we found that there were not any rest rooms at the station, it's nothing to say. We spent the night in the waiting room, which was very cold. There were a lot of suspicious and strange people and I worried that my backpack or telephone could be stolen.
Since early morning (6:00 a. m.), we went to the café and had breakfast. Since that time a lot of fun had started! We were hanging around the city. It was wonderful! In the snug parks my friend wanted to nourish some squirrels, but it seemed they didn`t will to take my friend as their guest. We were enjoying marvelous churches, the river Desna, gentle squares. Than the idea to visit a cloister came into my mind. We admired beautiful city panorama from high belfry there.
We had lunch in a very creative and unusual place – café “Gentlemen’s of Luck”. The interior completely resembled a prison atmosphere: couches made like beds in prison cell, iron dishes, grates on the windows. The cookers are dressed like convicts and waiters are dressed in a police uniform. Even toilet room was made in this style (toilet bowl like an electric chair, have you ever seen something like this!).
It was amazing trip!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mixer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.