Existing Member?

Writing About Missions

Understanding a Culture through Food - Celebration of the Haggis

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 14 April 2013 | Views [203] | Scholarship Entry

My first night in Edinburgh: the dinner and show at the restaurant included the celebration of the haggis. The haggis, specially prepared on a platter, was piped in by bagpipes. Then, the man presiding over the haggis ceremony recited the poem by Robert Burns, “Address to a Haggis.” Now, anyone familiar with Robert Burns knows that he writes in the Scottish dialect, and it can be hard to understand his poetry. As I listened to the poem, I couldn’t hear or understand most of the words, but several words were clear: puddin’, knife, rustic, gushing entrails, warm-reekin, dinner, dish, bill o’fare, Scotland, prayer, Haggis. These words alone verified my suspicions of the haggis as being a kind of mixture of entrails and left-over pieces of meat from an animal, most likely a deer.

Did I still want to eat this? The vegetarian part of me was screaming “No!” But the adventurous, culturally-interested part of me did not want to miss this opportunity. Add in the fact that this is the twenty-first century and the restaurant would have to serve a healthier form of haggis than what Robert Burns probably ate back in the late 1700s…well, I would give it a try. The server placed the plate of haggis in front of me, and I looked at it. Really, it’s not wise to immediately dig in. The haggis looked like a mini meatloaf. The haggis on the plate was aesthetically pleasing with the sprig of green. By the time I finally forked a small morsel into my mouth, my sister was more than halfway finished hers.

I wanted to taste it, move the haggis around on my tongue and in my mouth to feel the texture, but at the same time I wanted to swallow it quickly and say, “I did it! I ate haggis!” As a good little traveler, I actually tasted the haggis, taking time to chew it before swallowing it. Not bad. It’s creamy, even better than meatloaf. I could actually eat all of it on my plate, but I didn’t (my vegetarian conscience is screaming at me).

Nevertheless, I’m glad I ate a little bit of the haggis. By eating the haggis, I participated in the celebration of the haggis. It truly felt like I was in Scotland. The poem by Robert Burns, “Address to a Haggis,” now has more meaning for me. I had never thought that a food could have a celebration all its own with bagpipes and a poem. Yet here it. Maybe one day, I’ll imitate Robert Burns and write an address to a food that I like, perhaps pancakes, or peanut butter, or chocolate?

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About missiontraveler

Photogenic Irish horse

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.