Existing Member?

My Life is My Message

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

In the middle year of 2011, I had the opportunity gone to Palembang city for 3 days. It is a business travel. Wow! Palembang. We all know the very best food in Palembang is Mpek-mpek, Pempek or else, whatever you named it.
I love pempek. And come directly to the home town of pempek be an excitement it self. Although myself also pretty frequently got an original Palembang pempek. Whatever... just eat original Palembang pempek straight in Palembang. Sounds fun?
First and second day I was still struggling in meeting. Despite the fact that i couldn’t waited to taste Palembang culinary. Fortunately, during lunch at the second day meeting. I had a delicious pindang of fish. Honestly, I had never eaten fish pindang. Only just heard of the name. And this means that this is my first time eating fish pindang. When I reached a dining table for lunch, it is extremely tempting aroma. The appearance was not attracted, just presented in a big white bowl. And it had condensed soup, clear, slightly murky. Sure it come from the broth. Wuah, eaten it at lunch on the sidelines of the meeting was filled my energy again.
When the next day I was finally able to visited pempek outlets. I straight went to Berkah store. This store is famous for its grilled pempek. Grilled pempek is very rare. I ordered 2 portions of mie celor and 1 portion grilled pempek. Diferent from pindang, i just found out the name of mie celor when visiting this store. And it turns out that mie celor come in a large bowl, with a round and chewy noodles with coconut milk in reddish soup. Immediately, I ate mie celor. And it taste is really superb. Shrimp flavor was very, very blended with the flavor of eggs and coconut milk. This food directly on food-must-be-eaten list if going to Palembang again. Furthermore, eating grilled pempek complement my culinary tour. The difference with another pempeks is there are some spicy sauce inside that grilled pempek. Yummy. Palembang people really know how to indulging the tongue.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About miss_deetya


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.