Existing Member?

Michele's travels

The spirit of Mexico

MEXICO | Thursday, 21 May 2009 | Views [411] | Comments [2]

I am SO happy I decided to come to Mexico, despite all the "dangers & annoyances" and the recent swine flu outbreak, and I really wish that I'd had more time to explore this great country, in particular Southern regions.

I was somehow expecting Mexico to be more tricky as a travel destination, but found it actually a very pleasant and refreshing experience. Of course, I had Anelore as my local guide who offered me not only great hospitality, but also lots of advice on do's and don'ts, as well as a feeling for "the spirit of Mexico". On the other hand, I think speaking a little Spanish has also facilitated things, and here I wish to thank Anelore, and all the Spanish speakers in London who have contributed to the building of my vocabulary in the past few years (especially swearing words - they were not useful at all, but who cares, it's always a good icebreaker;-)). I am proud to say that my Spanish has considerably improved during the few days in Mexico and I reckon I could be fluent pretty soon!

I encountered no particular dodgyness in Mexico. All the Mexicans I met were extremely nice and friendly, and, contrary to for example India, guys did always talk to me but were very polite when I was alone. The police definitely look dodgy though, even in Mexico City airport...

The few Mexican people that I met on this trip nicely reflect the spirit of the country: they are warm and welcoming people, always up for a fiesta and savouring the delights of life in their country, when they are not working hard. At the same time, they are deeply spiritual (but in a good way, not in a George Bush kind of way).

Interestingly, I saw very few people begging on the streets, but we all know, and I have seen that too, that many, especially rural areas of Mexico are still very poor. However the Mexicans attitude is generally NOT to sit around and beg or complain, but get up on their feet and work. They will do anything to earn a living - clean, sell fruits on the street etc, no matter how much work and at what price.

A few other interesting things about Mexico that one might not know:

- They make wine! I had a very good (semi-dry) Chenin Blanc from Valle de Guadelupe, 2005 in Guanajato

- Some very famous Hollywood blockbusters were almost entirely filmed in Mexico, for example Titanic or Romeo&Juliet.

- tequila is sipped here, not downed in one shot, without any salt or lemon involved!

- in Mexico, girls have a huge party when they turn 15 - which represents their entering "womanhood". She is a real princess on that day, with a dress like a bridesmaid and at least one "cavalier". And of course a fiesta.

- Mexican food in Mexico is hardly comparable to what you'd call Mexican food abroad. There's no such thing as a burrito (in Mexico, that's a "little donkey") and tacos are eaten with soft, not hard tortilla.

Like India, Mexico is an extremely colourful place, which is another reason why I loved it so much. Then the people seem genuinly nice, and oh my god, the food is amazing! I have a new favourite dish, the "enmolada", which is chicken wrapped in tortilla smothered in a dark rich sauce made with chocolate!!!

I would love to come back, to discover the South and catch up again with Anelore (and buy lots of Mexican jewellery;-)).

A note on the recent swine flu outbreak. I had come prepared, with facemasks and everything, but saw hardly anyone actually wearing any, neither at the airport, nor in any of the places i travelled to. The only people occasionally wearing them were those working in restaurants, street vendors and perhaps taxis. And the only reason why people wear them, is because the government enforced them by law, as a preventative/protective measure. It is probably the first time in the history of modern Mexico that people actually do what the government says!

Comments

1

Ok, couple of updates/corrections on some of this from Anelore:

"tequila is sipped, not downed in one shot"...definately true...but u can have it with lime and salt, also as a bandera (=flag; a glass of tomato juice a glace of tequila and glass of lime = Red-White -Green like the Mex. flag) or mix with "refresco" (jugo de tojonra)...just did not have time to introduce you to all of the way u can drink tequila...next time

Burrito, they do have them, in the north of the country and that's basically the only place.

  misch May 26, 2009 6:31 PM

2

They have burritos in many places around Mexico. You just have to know where to look.

  surfveza Jun 4, 2009 9:39 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.