Existing Member?

Me, myself and I

Meeting People

GREECE | Tuesday, 24 January 2012 | Views [415]

I have been travelling for a few years now in Youth Hostels. Since this is a travel blog on a travel website, I'm assuming most people who read this (if anyone does!), have been to one at some point. I didn't realise it the first time I came to Italy because it was as part of a school group, or when I went to Asia because I was with four friends, but now that I'm travelling alone, I'm starting to see they do something to people.

In the past few years, I have grown more and more accustomed to being on my own, to the point where I am never sure how to start a conversation with a stranger now. If I go to a pub or a coffee shop on my own (which, by the way, is not as pathetic as it sounds!), I never meet anyone. However, the minute I set foot in a hostel, I find myself surrounded by lovely, sociable people with whom I spend whole days visiting and whole evenings... well, let's just say that sleep is overrated!

I live in England now and, the first day I arrived to London, I met this American student who was in London for a few weeks and, within a couple of hours of my arrival in the hostel, we had a group of six or seven people, from 5 countries and three continents and we spent a week together, discovering the capital.

In Barcelona, only two weeks ago, I arrived in the hostel and hadn't had time to leave my bags in my room that already I had made a few friends. I was in that city for three days and, every evening, after a full day of touristing (I know, it's not a word, but if it was up to me, it would be!), we would meet at the hostel, cook and eat together and then spend most of the night playing cards, basketball (getting police warnings because we were playing basketball...) and talking.

In Marseille, I met a couple of Australian students, studying in Holland and visiting the south of France and, after visiting Marseille together, we then travelled to Nice which we visited together as well.

How can it be so easy talking people, meeting people in hostels when it seems so hard in real life? Do they change everyone or just make me more sociable?

About mimoso_666


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.