Existing Member?

Live the life you have imagined

The porch that looked over the city

THAILAND | Thursday, 5 January 2012 | Views [461]

Second day in Bangkok and it's 30C again but even more humid since it rained last night. That temperature will need some getting used to that's for sure! This morning I had breakfast at my hotel and it was delicious! I had some rice with spicy chili chicken and veggies, some rice noodles and lots of fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple. It was kind of odd eating something so spicy for breakfast but it was delicious! Then I went to visit the Amarin Mansion which is where I have decided to stay for the next 5 months. It is a gorgeous apartment building with modern decor and very clean and nice looking rooms for a very cheap price, PERFECT! It has a nice decor, an amazing view from my porch; I can see buildings from far and up close I am surrounded by trees which is so peaceful, other than the fact that they are hiding lots of garbage bags on the ground. Ohhh just another perck of Bangkok. It is so funny here you don't need to pay right away for housing, well atleast to my experience. At the hotel I paid when I checked out and here at my apartment I am settling in I have my key and everything and I haven't paid yet and it doesn't seem too urgent either. Cool deal! The people working at my apartment are really friendly and there's this guy name Kiit right beside us who has a mini restaurant who is super nice and offers a great variety of food for cheap price. Tonight I had really good basil in a chili based sauce chicken with rice and he even came to bring it at my door. All this for a tiny weeny 40 baht or $1.33!!!!! 

I also went uniform shopping today, EGH!!! First of all it seems as though for our classes the profs aren't too strict on us having to wear them except during exam time such as midterms and final exams which is pretty cool. They consist of a white blouse with a Thammasat University pin, a black skirt (pleated) that goes to our knees, a belt, buckle with university logo, and finally black closed shoe. I had expected this to be painful, and it was! Thai people are in general very small and short, I am not small and not so short. Let me put it in perspective for you: my friends here that usually wear a small at home had to get a large here, yeah that's right! And of course I had to get an even bigger size to fit that specific part of my body that is slightly larger than the rest of the female population. Then since I had to get a slightly bigger size they wanted to charge me more and didn't understand a word of English so it was pretty much hell. I just hope as hell we don't have to wear these stupid uniforms too often! 

Tomorrow is a big day, we have to of course wear our beautiful uniforms for orientation, ew! It will be a long day of mixed emotions between excitement for meeting more international students and feeling a bit more tired for the whole logistics, blah blah, signing up crap. Hopefully everything works out well and I am not too exhausted tomorrow. It is now 6:35pm and I am ready for bed!!!! 

One more thing, I had heard that the Thai massage were super popular and cheap and I thought that was really cool, well I found out the hard way that it's because their beds are like ROCK HARD!!!! Hopefully the bed in my apartment will be better. I have 2 single beds so I pretty much made a king size bed, that is hopefully not too hard. Life is good! 

About mimi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.