Existing Member?

Sinead and Joey's Adventures This is the Adventure journal of Sinead and Joey, its purpose is to keep family and friends informed on our status in the world. We will be adding details and pictures when we get the chance, so feel free to check back and see where we are this week!

October 15-19

COSTA RICA | Saturday, 27 October 2007 | Views [455]

Monday, October 15

 

Baking day! With so little people we decided to double the size of our bagels, which was amazing. Sinead also made challah for the first time since splash, and it turned out great in the cobb oven. We all had to dry our clothes on the outside of the oven while it was hot because nothing will dry right now. It won’t stop raining. Usually it will only rain in the afternoon and it heats up in the morning but it has been all day rain lately. Black mold has started to grow on the main house walls. Water also went out at the end of the day, it rained so much it exposed the water pipes and they broke. We are all very dirty. Dishes are no fun.

 

Tuesday, October 16

 

Still no water. Rae left for San Jose for a couple of days, so we’re another person down. Me and Joey started leveling out an outdoor shower underneath the Hankey. It’s a lot of digging. We also began on our forms for the concrete base. Sinead was on dinner and she made lentil and tomato chili.   Water finally came on after dinner.

 

Wednesday, October 17

 

All of the formwork was kindof a waste. We had to tear it all out and redo it, but it looks better the second time around. We also went to another site in town to pick up concrete blocks and rebar, we were caught in the rain coming back. Pico hates the rain, even though he lives in the rain forest, and wouldn’t get out of the pickup until it stopped. Weird dog. Joey was on dinner and he made amazing stuffed zucchini.

 

Thursday, October 18

 

We made a rebar framework for the shower foundation and spent the rest of the day gathering materials for the concrete. Sinead got stuck driving the truck back with the concrete mix. Joey had to get out and push the car in the middle of town. All the gravel and mixing tub were ridiculously heavy and bringing them up to the Hanky house was a bitch. Greg and Matt left today after lunch. Matt will be gone two weeks and Greg only a couple of days. So, its just me, Joey, and Tom holding down the Ranch.

 

Friday, October 19

 

First thing in the morning we poured concrete. We thought one batch would do but we ended up having to make another. Mixing concrete by hand is really difficult. Lots of shoveling.  Joey had to haul the sand and gravel, again, up the hill then I had to wheel barrel it down.  After a long day of moving, mixing and pouring concrete we decided to reward ourselves with a couple of games of beer pong in the rain forest. We were the first people to bring the real game of beer pong to the ranch. We later went to the Pulp were Sinead was the only girl. Another normal Friday.

Tags: Work

About millmanapalm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.