Existing Member?

An unforeseen once a lifetime journey to Phrompthep cape

Captivating Twilight

THAILAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [224] | Scholarship Entry

Fighting on our honeymoon’s last day in Thailand is only stupid. How can we struggle on such a picture perfect island? With palm trees, fresh grass, humming birds, clear sand and calm blue-green ocean amidst the mountains of Phuket. Thank God one of us was sagacious, “Lets go on one last adventure.” That wasn’t me, I can turn from smiling to crying in under 10 seconds but not the other way around; still I was all in.
We rented a motorbike; struggled balancing 140 kilos at first while cars came from all directions as on this island they drove on the right side. The road was another postcard, almost sunset, a beautiful sky with shades of every color and forest mountains everywhere. In no time the sky was pouring, the roads were slippery, we started singing and laughing and we completely forgot our dispute. I took off my helmet, loosened my hair, and spread my arms. God I was overwhelmed with liberating simple joy. I was living my favorite cliché movie scene.
In an instant of untainted happiness and excitement, we stopped concentrating on our destination; we were lost in the moment. It was like the spiral uphill road was pushing us somewhere; we were just answering nature’s call. Suddenly we found ourselves in a full parking lot; it looked like we were late. People were running to capture something. Confused, we ran with the crowd up the endless stairs not knowing where it led.
Oh God, it was one of those jaw-dropping moments, were you are mind, body and soul in it. Our eyes met and we knew that this moment would be engraved in our hearts and minds forever as no camera could capture this absolute perfection. Turn your head 360 degrees; all you see is shades of orange, red, yellow and blue in the sky, and the ocean, just a playful reflection. “Phrompthep cape,” the highest spot where you can see the sun disappearing into the ocean with no barrier; a breathing postcard, the sun dissolving into the ocean with few tiny clouds around it, black birds flying ahead and a small fishing boat passing through. How did our miserable day end up here? God and nature conspired to bring us here together, right on time for the anticipated moment. Our buts were blistering from the rocky mountain, but who cared? We were alive. We were on top of the world literarily and metaphorically.
After sunset we unfolded our map, and a sweet Thai family of five were spotting where we were; no words were exchanged, only sincere smiles and bows.
We discover new places only when we’re lost.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About milesandsmileaway


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.