Existing Member?

Finding Fragments

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [166] | Scholarship Entry

It is almost midnight, and I find myself ambling around the snaky streets of Singapore; my spirits still high, but my body famished. A fateful turnout of events (and train rides) leads me to the famed Lau Pa Sat food court, a melting pot of various cuisines ranging from Chinese to Singaporean. A cultural smorgasbord awaiting those with an adventurous appetite, and a huge one at that!

I settle for a delightfully filling hawker meal: a medley of Chicken, Beef, and Lamb skewers with Satay sauce, a piping-hot serving of Chili Crab and Mantou, a hefty plate of Cereal Prawns, and all this downed with a cold glass of sugar cane juice.

The local server has an enthusiastic aura as he serves the food. His eyes crinkle with laugh lines accumulated from his long years. He is a man of many stories. He serves the Satay Skewers, urging me to eat them while the meat is still warm and tender. I pour some Satay sauce on the peppery meat, and sink take a bite. The peanut sauce with hints of tamarind complement the meat so perfectly. I think he saw me close my eyes as I savored the moment. Delicious.

“Use your hands. Best way to eat crab,” he says with a cheerful note as I heed his advice. I break open the sweet Mantou, releasing the steam and the aroma of freshly baked bread. I dip it in the Chili Crab sauce, fiery and bold. Despite this unconventional way of eating crab, I feel at home already. I crack the claw, and devour the succulent meat of the crustacean. I pop a Cereal Prawn into my mouth, the delicate crisp of the fried cereal contrasting the tender shrimp. It’s hard to believe that such a satisfying meal can be found in the simplest of places.

The refreshing glass of sugar cane juice capped my meal perfectly. Despite the time, I know the night is young. I stand up from my seat, and head towards the exit. I take one last glance at our gracious server. Our eyes meet, and we both bid each other farewell through our knowing smiles as if to say, “I’ll see you later.”

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About mikkawee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.