Existing Member?

The Great American Road Trip

Treasures of the Tetons: A Photographer's Guide

USA | Thursday, 14 May 2015 | Views [84] | Scholarship Entry

I felt the draw of the Grand Tetons since I was a young kid hearing the stories my mom would tell about the incredible beauty of the area she experienced in the summer of 1974 on a road trip after college and how it never left her. She always told us kids, “Overlooking the Snake River and the Grand Tetons - that’s where I want to be buried someday.” I remember searching photos and seeing Ansel Adam’s photograph overlooking the Snake River slowly materialize in front of me on our old dial-up internet. Years later when I got the chance to do a proper American road trip, I knew the first place that would go on my list.

The Tetons offer such a wide array of treasures; from unparalleled adventures to breath-taking photographic opportunities. Having traveled quite a bit in my 27 years and been to nearly all the major National Parks – Grand Tetons is where I found myself overwhelmed with possibilities as a photographer. There’s something about that river valley and the way it concentrates apex wildlife – the bear, the buffalo, the moose, the fox, the beaver – under the shadow of that iconic mountain range that is unparalleled anywhere else.

In one sentence, I think of it like this: Grand Teton is to photographers what Yellowstone is to families crammed in RV’s – it’s the Mecca of our National Parks. It has a rich diversity in scenery, wildlife, and nature that is without equal.

As for places to shoot - there are endless opportunities strewn throughout that valley. I would recommend narrowing it down to two or three spots and then returning there at different times of the day over a few days. The light is always changing, and likewise, so will your photos. The Teton mountain range is a spectacular ribbon of granite laid out from North to South – creating the perfect canvas to capture both that morning glow and that stunning sunset. Three places that you’re guaranteed to get some amazing shots are: Oxbow Bend, Schwabacher’s landing, and Mormon Row. Now, these are some extremely popular spots with photographers so I’d recommend showing up early and taking a walk around to find your desired composition and then post up and wait for that perfect lighting. But, I guarantee you this – if you show up and put yourself anywhere in the middle of this stunningly beautiful, majestic, raw place – it will not only change your photography, it will change you.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mikecontos


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.