Existing Member?

Vino and Tacos

A new life for Jackie

USA | Monday, 6 March 2017 | Views [386]

January 20, 2017 was my last day of secular work. After 15 years, I thought I would feel some sadness at leaving. Instead, all I felt was joy and happiness at my future prospects.

I had big plans for the 38 days before I left for Mexico. I imagined spending copious amounts of time in my bible ministry, lunching and dining with friends and family, and maybe even a mini-vacay. None of that happened because it took all 38 days to condense my life into the back of my car.

I went through several stages of parting with my material belongings: denial, bargaining, denial, tears, denial, and finally acceptance. Don’t misunderstand, my Kitchenaide mixer came with me and so do my Ninja Bullet and Le Cruset Dutch oven…I have my limits. It was stressful for sure, but I’m glad I did it and I look forward to simplifying even more. 

I thought I’d slip away quietly but my friends insisted on a despedida.  And not just a regular going away party. There was rented space in a hotel, a buffet of beautifully displayed hordeveurs, cocktails, a DJ and a dance floor with lights.  And did I mention we dressed up!  It was a blast.  I loved having so many of my friends and family in one place.  And then there was the cake with a fondant rendition of me…so cute.  Such an outpouring of love.

After a day of rest, I hit the road, accompanied by my friend Debbie.  Taking the plunge into a new life.  Follow me to hear the rest of the story.

 

About midlife_nomad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.