Existing Member?

Travels in Argentina

The beginning

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 5 May 2009 | Views [223]

I booked this holiday in March 2009 as a result of a strong feeling that I wanted to do some community work abroad.  Ive been to South America(Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay) before in 2002 and felt a natural desire to return there.  Although Brazil was my first choice, it needed to be a Spanish speaking country to compliment my desire to learn Spanish as well to get the most out of the experience, especially as I knew I would be staying in a house with native speakers.  Brazil was out then, so I then turned my thoughts to Peru.  I knew I wanted to go during our Winter to escape the cold but Cuzco in January is very wet so decided against that.  I then thought about Argentina.  I'd loved my time there previously.  Although I'd only spent a week in Buenos Aires, it was enough to whet my appetite.  BA is so fantastically European and stylish, like Paris.  Despite extremes of poverty and wealth it stands out as an amazing place, the people are so incredibly warm.  To think I was apprehensive about their attitude towards me as a Brit, post Falklands.  They couldnt have been more welcoming.  And so to BA I return.  When I arrive in BA, it will be particularly poignant for me.  That week in Buenos Aires was spen with my friend Tim and was the greatest holiday experience of my life.  Tim took his own life last year and returning to BA will remind me of the time we spent there.  Alas, initially Im only in BA for 36 hours before I catch an internal flight to Posadas, my 'home' for 4 weeks.  Im sure that thses weeks will be a life changing experience, a time to savour and look back on and Im sure the first of many adventures to come. 

 

About mickey_blue_eyes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.