Existing Member?

Year of the Pig Adventures Mick and Fi's adventures to share with family and friends

Easter Weekend

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 10 April 2007 | Views [467]

The Great Goat Race begins

The Great Goat Race begins

We drove out to Walgett, Western NSW, on Good Friday with hoardes of other Easter travellers on the road. The traffic eased from Moree onwards with nothing but parched landscapes, cattle & sheep grazing on the shoulder road, and the occasional road train for company. We spent Easter Saturday out at Lightning Ridge to see for ourselves the 31st running of the Great Goat & Wheelie Bin races down the main drag of the town. There was a Calcutta run on a final of 12 goats followed by the Lightning Ridge Horse Races on a dusty old track. We visited "The Bottle House" where an old prospector has built his house made out of empty beer bottles...ingenious! Lunatic Hill is where the main opal prospecting takes place and as the name suggests- you have to be one to live out here searching through tons of rubble looking for that elusive, perfect black opal. (you've got more chance winning the lotto) 

Tags: Adventures

About mick-and-fi

Ah it's been nearly 3 years since we've been overseas...sob...SOON!

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.