Existing Member?

Journey to Milk Tea Country

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 13 April 2012 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

My Thailand vacation started and ended with a cup of milk tea. I happen to love this beverage because it's a blend of the good and the bad: it's herbal and it's sweet. More than that, this drink is like the Thais themselves: different variations, but always with their own brand of sweetness.
Every meal I’ve had ended with a milk tea, almost as if it were my dessert. I must have had two cups every day I was in Thailand, and I didn't even feel guilty since a huge tumbler only costs 30 baht. But the best milk tea for me was my first in front of the Banzaan building in Phuket. The lady at the stall was patient enough to wait for the five other people in my group to decide whether they wanted the drink or not. I never saw her sigh in exasperation. She seemed amused at the antics of these tourists who swarmed the island. I loved that she understood that I wanted to take a photograph of her while making my beloved milk tea. And I loved that while she didn't know a lot of English words, she calls the girls 'beauty' and the guys 'handsome.' Although there were other stalls that served milk tea, I always bought mine from her – and not because I liked being called beauty.
I tried the milk tea served at the food court in Platinum Mall, where even the most resistant to fashion will always find something to buy. The drink was served in a prettier cup, had more ice, but was less sweet. Still, it was a good drink. Then I had one at the Jatujak Weekend Market where the server was a little girl who spoke to me in Thai, and I had to tell her, “No, I’m not Thai.” Her eyes then lit up, pointed to my bangs and said, “Annyeong haseyo!” I had to smile at that. Nope, I’m not Korean, and she looked a little disappointed. So as she handed me my drink, I said, “Kamsamhamnida,” and it was her turn to smile.
My journey ended with one last cup of milk tea. As I leave, I know it will always be one of my fondest things about the Land of Smiles. It’s definitely one of the reasons for my return.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About michinmari


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.