Existing Member?

Mia's Travel Blog

First day!!! Munich...

GERMANY | Friday, 4 October 2013 | Views [385] | Comments [2]

New York City --> Reykjavik --> Munich!

We landed on time at around 1:05 pm. Picked up checked luggage (only my backpack) and got our first meal at a food place near the gate. Half a roast chicken with  a side of potato cucumber salad. And COFFEE because I was running on 24 hours of no quality sleep. Bought a ticket for the S-Bahn that would take us towards the city center, towards Grūnwald Straße where we are staying. It was like an unlimited day ticket for up to 5 people, valid until 6 am the following day, for €20,40. I guess this is standard when you stopover at another European city (?) but we didn't have to get our passports stamped before leaving the airport. 

Christian's clear instructions from AirBnb brought us from the airport on the S8 line to Rosenheimerplatz (pretty much everything ends in platz or straße) and from there we took the Tram #15 to Theodolindenplatz (see?). The tram stop is only like half a block away from his house so it's very convenient. The public transport here is clean and fast and all electric as far as I can tell, but we haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I wouldn't call it one of the easiest public transport systems I've encountered. 

After settling into our room, resting a bit, and showering we headed out towards Oktoberfest because it would be one of the only things open (oct 3 is German Unity Day). However by this time (7 pm local time) I was so hungry and exhausted that I didn't feel I could enjoy it. So instead we got off at Hauptbahnhof, which as we learned is a big- I want to say the main- train station in Munich. Shops were open there, as a German friend of mine had suggested they would be. After wandering a bit I bought a salami baguette (€1,10!) and a fruit cup. Eating the fruit cup back at home base, I encountered an unknown fruit. It looked like an orange cherry tomato. It was kind of tart, with little seeds inside. No idea what it was really but it was tasty!

We hit the sack around 9. Now I'm awake at 2:30 am. I thought I'd sleep through the night. Better get back to my attempt at a good nights rest!

Tags: german unity day, munich, oktoberfest, strange fruit

Comments

1

Another weird thing is that not once did a conductor check our ticket and we didn't have to swipe in to the station or scan the ticket or anything. What's that about?

  miaroliveri Oct 4, 2013 10:38 AM

2

Ah I love that you are writing this blog! I can live through you. PS about the trains that is weird bc in London/Paris/Rome you have to swipe to get in and swipe again to get out.

  Sharlene Oct 4, 2013 11:29 PM

About miaroliveri


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.