Existing Member?

Imagine Into Reality

The Girl On Cobblestones

ITALY | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [131] | Scholarship Entry

She entered the city of seven hills with an eye for colour and a heart for passion. Walking down Trastevere, she saw the beauty of Rome. Witnessing history, art, literature and an affliction for the city all at once.
There was this magnetism that seemed to be calling out to her as she woke the next morning. You may call it the thrill of a new city or a new life calling on you - but she knew it was more than that. There was something in the air that morning, there was something greater, something bigger surrounding her as she put on her boots and her coat and set out to explore the city.

She began the day at Piazza Trilussa, sitting there soaking in the sun that seemed to be so rare at this time of the year, looking out at the Tiber and then deciding to cross the bridge for the first time. She began her journey, afraid of the overwhelming traffic but at the same time bursting with excitement for the time to come. She looked out at the Tiber, remembering the myth of Romulus, Remus and the She-Wolf that reminded her so much of Mogli's life from a jungle book. Each moment seeming to be a fairytale, and everything cropping up around her willing itself into her expectations. She walked by the maple trees, still a gorgeous crimson from the fall - awestruck. Fascinating as ever were the people on the streets - playing music, painting, sketching-the epoch of culture all enrolled onto a single bridge. And then she came across a woman sitting by a makeshift stall of drawings. She stopped, charmed by this woman's ability to capture Rome onto a tiny piece of paper. The woman began conversing with her in Italian, and from her limited knowledge of the language she responded "bene, bene," as that was all she could form, mesmerised still by the drawings. But then, the woman began speaking in English, she spoke about her love for drawing, her passion for art. She spoke about how life is hard for artists in this day and age, even in a city like this. She said that the money is limited, but when someone truly appreciative stops by, it makes up for it. She said when someone admires art for what it really is, that's when she feels like she's accomplished something. The girl was speechless; here she was in a new city, talking to a stranger on a bridge yet this stranger understood, she understood more than anyone had in her entire life.

That was why she decided that this was the place for her.

The city of seven hills, the city of lost artists, the city of life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mhumz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.