Existing Member?

The Desert Zone

When I was bewitched in New Orleans.

MEXICO | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [350] | Scholarship Entry

"I bought two tickets to Voodo Fest and you're coming with me".- Said Damian on his long distance call to México City. 'What a waste of time' I tought. 'I could spent my holidays in other place...like Guatemala or Cuba'.

When you born in a mexican border were the nearest mexican city is 4 hours far; it makes sense why people prefers to travel to U.S., where most cities look alike.

It's been two years since Damian and I haven't seen each other more than few days every other month since I moved to Mexico City and I felt guilty. "O.K. ...great". I finally answered.

Months later a new ugly boss and a forced resignation I was more than ready for this holiday. We arrived on thursday night. He rented a car, booked a hotel downtown and a wetland tour. While driving, I saw streets and buildings were the usual, so once downtown, we checked-in, got our stuff into our room and decided to sightseeing a little...

The first time I put a step outside the hotel a smash of sounds and colors of music blow into my face... it was Jazz. Someone was practicing sax somewhere around the tall buildings... no wait... different people where playing around the city! Streets where empty but this ambient music filled it and made it a warm welcome.

Then I notice one old beautiful french building being an art gallery, and across the street the only local restaurant open. "Oh my God! They have their own typical food?" I asked Damian after the waitress give us recommendations. -"Sure, haven't you heard about this huge Mardi Grass Festival?". -"Yeah, but... that's the only thing they have haven't they?. I said. (Oh my, I could just slap my "past" face right now).

We walk then through the french quarters... blocks of old french buildings exactly as if you were in a movie. Lot's of bars and people drinking and dancing. Tourists or students even celebrate Mardi Grass everyday... walk a block away and then you'll notice little groups of people taking night tours with either a vampire, voodoo witch or a pirate guide talking, depending on which you choose, about history and ghosts of their past in New Orleans. I was bewitched...by this place!

We spent weeks at a hostel before returning home, enjoying every inch of NOLA, but that first night was a magical open minder, and I realize there are so many UNIQUE places near home I could explore. Could another city in U.S. be as different, eclectic, cultural, historical and misterious as New Orleans?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mexico_1800


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.