Existing Member?

Looking Out

Frozen Moments

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [210] | Scholarship Entry

I have seen many beautiful views here in New Zealand, in fact we take pride in ourselves for having such views. The one view I will never forget lies in a photo album in my room, it was taken before I had Facebook. It had been a slightly disappointing day weather wise, leaving me with sore red cheeks and a chill in bones that had me longing for a fireplace.
It had been a day trip to Mount Ruapehu, and I had been looking forward to it despite the early wake up and the long three hour drive I would have to endure. Once we got there it seemed there was a gloom all around, it was winding and sporadic periods of a mix of rain and snow, a low hanging cloud that minimised our visibility. Completely opposite of what I had imagined for this day but since we were there we decided to endure and continue with our plans to go skiing.
The weather seemed to have some positives as the number of visitors was low and meant that the lines for the food and lifts were short, and there was ample space to ski for everyone. Though every now and then the weather would get to me and I would escape inside. Where I enjoyed a hot chocolate embracing the warmth of the cosy café, eventually I would gather my energy one again and go outside to ski. Towards the end of the day the wind eased a little bit and the upper fields opened. I took the lifts up as far up as they could take me at the end of the day like I always did.
The view was quite different from what I was expecting, here above the clouds it was clear sky and the sun was shining and unhindered by any clouds. In fact the low bearing clouds now acted as a sea of white fluffiness just under the blue sky. The neighbouring peak of Mount Ngauruhoe breaching the clouds standing alone in its own world, its snow slightly glistening under the sun. I stood there basking the warmth of the sun, looking out at the view before me, revelling in the peace that it brought to me.
No matter where I go or the places I visit I always try and find spots like this to simply enjoy the moments that I have. That particular day is my favourite to recall whenever I need to clear my mind and relax. I also keep a picture in my album as a token of that day. Simply because despite the day not being exactly how I imagined it held something so beautiful than I could have ever imagined. Because sometimes things don’t go the way we planned but that does not mean it is a bad thing.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About memorable


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.