Existing Member?

Tales of a Travelling Loon

Edinburgh Festival-Funny shenannigans, drunken bets and nude pub comps!

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 19 August 2008 | Views [654]

Ahh the Edinburgh Festy, the smells, the sounds and the beggars!

I turned up in Edinburgh for the opening of the festy. So many people, so much to see, so many to do... whoops! did i say that? Anyway one of the best things about the beginning of the festival is that many of the shows have 2 for 1 deals for the first few days and if like me, you travel with a friend some of the time, paying half price is  very very good feeling. You don't wince as often when you see a sign for a show and your wallet doesn't bleed quite as much. There is also something that started this year, called the Free Fringe. It is als a big help when it comes to keeping the wallet healthy. And not only is it free, but you can find some comedy gems, like the contortionist and the irish share house guys who got a whole bunch of laughs but were also in a much more intimate setting. Then there's the Globe, the pub for hostels, with the hostel challenge on every Tuesday. If you want to be involved you have to enter a group of people from your hostel, then be prepared to skull beers, dress up in alfoil, get closer to your felow hostel mates than you ever thought you would with the help of an ice cube, and get naked in the middle of the pub. All good clean fun! I stayed at the Belford Hostel. It's not the cleanest or the dirtiest i've ever been to, but the fact it's in an old converted church may be a sticking point for some people. lso the fact that there's no ceilings on the dorm rooms may be a downer for some people. Personally i had great fun. Deffinitely going to be at the Festy next year, bleeding bank balance allowing of course!

 

About melissad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.