Existing Member?

Oozing with Life

Sensing.

NEPAL | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [219] | Scholarship Entry

Walk. Walk. Stop.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Touch.
Ouch. There is no path. We have to make our own. We aren't welcomed, we can feel it. The plants are trying to tell us to go back. Needles are everywhere, touching us, harassing us.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Listen.
We hear nothing when we walk but our own footsteps. When we stop, we realize the jungle is silent. Silent because it's listening to us. If we stay quiet for more than some seconds we begin to hear rustling, maybe a bird here or a break of a twig there. Listening and analyzing every noise makes you go crazy. What is it? What was that? Why is it quiet?
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Smell.
Smells can be colorful. Have you ever felt that? While walking through the jungle we smell the trees, the fruit, the freshness. We smell life. We smell purity. Then we sniffed something strong coming from this big pile of dirt. We walked over to it, the guide said, "oh that's definitely the poop of a male elephant, the most dangerous animal in the jungle, and it's fresh."
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Taste.
We had the taste of adrenaline, we had a rush, everything around us was alive, we couldn't stop to eat. We had to keep going.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
Walk. Walk. Stop.
See.
At first we didn't see it, we even almost walked by it. It was behind a line of trees. It was silent. It's true that they see us, before we see them. The guide stopped us, he saw it. He told us not to move, we were facing the most dangerous animal in the jungle. One of these animals had killed a man a month before, and here we were facing it.

How did I end up here?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About melindasees


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.