Existing Member?

Unpredictable Journey

Unpredictable Journey (BUNTA ISLAND)

INDONESIA | Thursday, 14 May 2015 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

Exactly at five, i was at the Lamtengoh port. I met a fisherman named Ridwan. I interviewed him with alot of questions. Almost at six, ridwan had to go back to the island. But, suddenly Ridwan asked “why don’t you follow me to that island?, you will see the fact and many more”. I was surprised and said “it is dangerous right?”. And ridwan said “ If it is dangerous, you cannot meet me today”. Finally, now i am in the little boat and heading to the island. I just wear a sandals and thin jacket. I just bring my phonecell, notabook, and no money. 15 minutes later, ridwan talked a few minute later we will cross the flow. I was shocked and i think am crazy. Now, i am in the middle of sea and will cros the flow. I eventhough cannot swimming. The distance from Banda Aceh to the island is about 1 hour, do not to worry. You will save, i am an Panglima Laot (expert or captain in the sea) said Ridwan. In the sea , i saw many things. It is like a hidden paradise island. First, there are many small island and such as a beautiful island near my city but no one care. It can be destination for adventure or travelling. I think i am lucky today, i find paradise. I saw the birds catch the fish suddenly, and the wave like dancing. The water changes from blue, dark green and grey.
Finnaly, i am in front of the island now. It is called Bunta Island, because the island structure like the body of Unta (Camel). This island has 110 ha and just seven people live here. After Tsunami 2004 people move to Aceh Besar. Ridwan and friends keep take care this island. There is no facility, electricity and everything. This island just have a broken house that did not take care.
Ridwan told a lot of story and carry me to around this island. First, in left side there is beautiful beach with white sand and blue water. And left side, there is a beach with sand mix broken coral. This happened because fish bombing. In the behind side, there is a beautiful beach with colourful coral, the coral see clearly. Ridwan said, i am like a sea soldier. I want to know more about the island and promise make a better life for the island.
Several weeks later, my research documentary accepted. Then, i made a documentary film about Bunta Island and fish bombing. The film entitled “Hikayat dari ujung pesisir (Tale from the coastal end)”. The film make a better impact after screening, now many people go travelling to Bunta Island and reducing fish bombing. Now Ridwan said, FROM NO PEOPLE CARE TO NOW PEOPLE CARE.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About melatidarang


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.