Existing Member?

On a plane bound for London.

On a plane bound for London.

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 27 April 2014 | Views [138] | Scholarship Entry

With tears in eyes, I watched Sydney grow smaller in the distance. British Airways Flight 015 was en route to Singapore for a short stopover then onto Heathrow, London.

As I watched the city receding in the distance, thoughts swarmed my head. Was I doing the right thing? Was I completely crazy? What happens if I get mugged or sick? What if I want to come home? Could I do this?

12 months prior, in a moment of empowerment I had planned my first overseas holiday, solo. Now, on the day of departure, I was suddenly overcome with nerves and emotions. I was so excited yet so very scared, I was excited about the adventure ahead yet the reality of the situation was daunting. Travelling to the other side of the world, alone, for 3 weeks.

The tears were of joy not sadness, I was happy to be living my dream. So many times I had started my sentences with “One day I want to…” so this was my ‘one day.’

It was my one day to achieve that dream and my one day to show myself that I had the strength TO achieve my dream. It was my one day to put myself first, be selfish and do something that I had dreamt of my whole life.

It was my one day to learn about my strengths and my weaknesses and to grow from them.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About melanie79


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.