Existing Member?

Meghan in Motion

Back in the States, Safe and Sound

USA | Monday, 20 December 2010 | Views [353]

Our flight landed in Minneapolis around 11PM Sunday night, returning us to a familiar, frozen land.  I'll add another update about our last few days in Peru sometime this week, but wanted to let everyone know we've made it home safely.  Happy Holidays!

-----

So here's that update I promised you:

On Thursday morning we bought tickets for a 9:30PM overnight bus to Lima and then spent the in-between time lying out on the beach.  Our bus was very comfortable and we managed to get most of a night's sleep on the way to Lima.  We arrived in Lima around 7AM on Friday, and headed straight to our usual hostel, the Red Psycho Llama.  We slept some more that morning and walked down to the waterfront in the afternoon since we hadn't done that during either of our previous stays in Lima.  There's a boardwalk on the bluffs above the beach, and we walked along that a bit.  By the time we figured out how to get down to the beach I realized that I needed sunscreen or shade--neither of which were available where we were--so we headed back to the hostel.

On Saturday, our final day of our adventure, we made use of our sunscreen and visited the beach proper.  In the afternoon we met up with one of my brother's friends who lives in Lima, which was a nice opportunity to talk about our trip and the region with someone who knew first hand what we were talking about.  We headed to the airport early, around 8:30, for our 12:20AM flight.  Our plane actually took off around 1AM and landed in Miami around 6AM.  We had a 13hour layover in Miami and spent a fair bit of it sleeping and watching football. 

We landed back in Minneapolis at 11PM Sunday night, layered up with all the clothing we could at baggage claim, took the lightrail to downtown, and caught a cab rather than waiting for our bus in the cold.  (It's cold here!)  We spent the night at Eric's old place with his former roommate.  On Monday my mom fetched me back to Wisconsin, and Eric headed to his family's on Tuesday after watching the Vikings lose on Monday night with friends.  (heh heh heh)  We'll be with our families for the holidays and are moving to Texas before the end of the year.  ...Because we haven't had enough time on the road lately.

Thanks, everyone, for joining us on this journey for the last two months.  It's been a wonderful trip--we really wish we could have stayed longer, but we're happy to be back with family and friends for the holidays.  Happy Holidays & New Year to all!

About meghan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.