Existing Member?

Traveling Adventures Hi! Welcome to my travel journal. I created this so friends and family can keep track of me on my adventures. I'll update this when I can.

Quito!

ECUADOR | Saturday, 26 March 2011 | Views [286]

I am home now, but thought all of you would still like to know about Quito!

After spending most of the day wandering around Cuenca, I caught a night bus to Quito on the evening of 3/21.  The bus was supposed to be about 10-12 hours, arriving in Quito around 6am, although we left late.  There was a nice Quiteño waiting for the same bus with me in the bus company´s lobby and we had a really good long conversation in Spanish!  It is so funny how sometimes my Spanish seems so good and I can understand everything someone is saying and can come up with full sentences!  It made me feel really good about the Spanish I have picked up on this trip (and remembered from high school I suppose too).  Anywho, I was delighted to observe that the bus seats reclined really far and that there were very few people on the bus so it would be a nice quiet place to sleep.  HA.  I don´t think the bus had shocks anymore, most of the highway to Quito wasn´t paved, we made stops about every 20 minutes, and there was a police checkpoint where the police office had a lot of trouble finding my Ecuador entrance stamp in my passport.  He found it finally, luckily.  In addition, the co-pilot kept turning up the marachi music until it was blaring and he would turn the lights on every 20 minutes when the bus stopped for more people.  Needless to say, I didn´t sleep well.  We made a stop around 5am and I fell asleep immediately with the bus being stopped.  It turns out it was Quito!  After who knows how long, the driver got back and tapped me on the shoulder.  I thought it was another police checkpoint and was reaching for my passport when I realized that it was the driver, not a police officer!  I jumped up, and seeing that I was the only person on the bus, ran outside to get my luggage.  In the process, I lost my water bottle and had to get back on the bus and crawl around on the floor looking for it.  I found it luckily!  I caught a cab to the hostel and discovered that the guard on duty (reception wasn´t open yet) had lost my reservation.  He put me in a double room to let me sleep.  Once reception opened, they located my room and everything was sorted out.  I had a really nice 3 hours of sleep though in the nice big queen-sized bed!  After all this, I decided to wander about the city.  Well, I pretty much saw everything in an afternoon except for a few museums and a church I want to go to! First, I walked down to the Centro Histórico, a UNESCO World Heritage site.  It was nice, but given all the fabulous sounding talk I´ve heard, I think maybe I was just a little bit disappointed.  There are lots of pretty little white-washed colonial churches and brightly painted colonial buildings.  The streets in the area are also cobble-stone, but there was so much traffic.  I went into La Compañia de Jesus, considered one of Ecuador´s most beautiful churches and for a good reason.  I have never seen so much gold ever!  It was a decent sized church and EVERYTHING was painted in gold!  The ceiling, the walls, the humongous baroque-ish heavy altar, the pillars.  So much gold!  It was really beautiful.  The altar was so impressive- layers and layers of spikes and spires with the inevitable saint´s bones integrated in there somehow.  And no colonial era, baroque style church is complete without a collection of gory paintings depicting the martyrs and the worst pits of hell so I got to admire those as well.  Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take photos so you just have to believe me!  After this I wandered a bit more til I got to a sketchy looking neighborhood and then turned back to walk into new town.  I strolled through several city parks and along busy, congested streets lined with Quito´s major businesses and hotels.  I had a really good lunch at a Vietnamese place, found the best stocked grocery store I´ve seen in all of South America and then wandered on back to the hostel.  The restaurant at the hostel served dinner, which I skipped except for the dessert of course which was a delicious, bright red ginger and beetroot cake!  It was so yummy.

On 3/23 I set off in the morning for the northern neighborhoods of new town to check out a few parks and the natural sciences museum.  The museum was fairly uneventful- lots of big ol jungle bugs, creepily enormous spiders, and pretty butterflies bigger than my hand.  There were also a handful of cool rocks from the region.  The best part was a poster describing a recent macroinvert study in Ecuador´s rivers.  They concluded that 72.6% of rivers in the country are considered clean, high quality habitat for their fisheries and what not, while only about 6% were considered critically compromised.  That was cool to see!  After the museum I walked up a giant hill forever to a overlook of a valley with a pretty church.  I walked back to the hostel in the afternoon and hung out in the bar chatting with the other travelers.

On the morning of 3/24, I took a free walking tour of old town since I walked through it before, but without any information on the history of anything.  First we went to the massive Basílica del Voto Nacional, Ecuador´s biggest church.  It is built in the classic style of all massive European cathedrals, except instead of using gargoyles to guard it´s 140m tall walls, the builders used animals from all parts of Ecuador.  So there are guinea pigs, pumas, tortoises, and iguanas decorating the outside!  Inside is so big.  It´s one of those buildings that is so big you don´t even feel like you are inside of something.  There were lots of stained glass windows incorporating indigenous symbols such as maíz and orchids instead of bloody martyrs which I thought was really unique and nice for a change.  The next hour we just strolled through old town, much of which I have seen already, but with the guide providing history and what not this time.  In the Plaza Grande at the center of old town, there were hundreds of people gathered on the lawn and cobblestone plaza area waiting for the president to come out on the balcony of the presidential palace and speak.  There were also about 30 heavily armed guards in army fatigues and berets standing solemnly at the entrace of the palace.  We also saw the VP´s car drive by, but only the driver was still inside.  After the tour, I got another tour of the interior of the presidential palace, seeing the banquet room, many gifts from foreign dignitaries and a room full of portraits of all the past presidents.  On returning to the hostel, I learned that another 5 people had been robbed that day in Quito (basically, 1 in 5 people in my hostel were robbed in Quito) and one girl had lost EVERYTHING- passport, credit and debit cards, any and all forms of ID she had had and a DSLR camera!  Yuck.  One poor Dutch kid had his passport stolen then a week later his jacket and money stolen and then 13 hours later his camera stolen (and this was the camera he bought to replace his original camera that was stolen in Bolivia).  The guy had more police reports than I had travel documents!  After hearing all these stories, I was basically just counting down the hours til I was on the plane!  I slept in the airport and caught my flight with no problems!  No mugging for Megan!

Stay tuned for one last entry about my trip favorites.  It's great to be home!

 

About megan_skinner


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.