Existing Member?

Traveling Adventures Hi! Welcome to my travel journal. I created this so friends and family can keep track of me on my adventures. I'll update this when I can.

The Lakes District!

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 26 February 2011 | Views [498]

Hello! I am in beautiful Bariloche on the shores of the huge, deep blue Lago Nahuel Huapi in the Lakes District of Argentina!


On the morning of 2/22, I took a bus from Puerto Montt, Chile.  The road we took brought us up through the dense westside rainforest of the Andes and across the Argentinian border to the drier eastside.  Right after crossing in Argentina, we continued ascending and eventually drove into the clouds- the visibility was so poor that I could barely even see the trees on the side of the road.  But once we started dropping onto the other side, the forest got drier, the clouds got thinner and the mountains got more rocky and rugged.  Eventually there was sun and I could see more clear stony rivers and then Lago Nahuel Huapi!  The mountains here don´t have nearly as many glaciers as those farther south so the lakes here are a clear blue like the Caribbean!  So pretty!  And eventually the forest gave way to what looked exactly like ponderosa and lodgepole pines, douglas firs and cedars!  There were even lupine and yarrow in the ditch on the side of the highway.  As we neared the first town on the Argentine side, there were suddenly all these cute little cabins and cottages with aritechture just like the National Park lodges at home.  There were lots of flowers and lots of gardens and it felt like home!  Everything is really touristy here, but then again, I am one of those so it´s not so bad.  We passed through little alpine looking villages, around the edge of the lake and finally arrived in Bariloche after 7 hours of bus time.  After checking into my hostel (which is awesome), I wandered around town looking for groceries and what not.  There is a natural foods store here which I was really excited about (whole wheat bread and dried fruit in bulk and cookies that don´t have 5 million ingredients!).  The grocery store here also seems to have a much bigger produce section so I made a huge veggie meal at the hostel for dinner.  After dinner, I decided to wander some more and found four craft fairs (and bought ANOTHER pair of earings) with everything from jewelry to clocks to chocolate.  The chocolate here is DELICIOUS and really cheap.  So I munched on some of that and just strolled around the main streets for a few hours.

On the morning of 2/23, I got up early and took the early bus out to Bahía Lopez the lake.  The bus passed through fragrant pine and fir forests and to the tiny settlement of Colonia Suiza with cute little timber buildings, a tiny town farm, dirt roads and lots of friendly people.  One Grandma came out to the bus to get her morning paper from the driver and gave him a loaf of fresh baked bread in exchange!  I got off the bus at the hotel at Bahía Lopez for a short hike to a viewpoint on a peninsula.  It was really nice, except I was abosolutely terrified the whole time because there were millions of bees everywhere (they were yellow jackets and I HATE yellow jackets, chaquetas amarillas in Spanish).  They were above me, below me, buzzing my face, flying between my legs and generally making such a loud buzzing noise that there must have been hundreds of nests along the trail- I have NEVER seen this many bees in my life.  I almost turned around about 15 times, but they aren´t aggressive at all here so I persevered.  The view was really nice at the top- one part of the lake ending in a ring of rocky, forested mountains, and the other side extending out for miles to another, higher range in the distance.  I walked along the beach for part of the way back to avoid the bees.  Next, I walked along the road for a ways to a trail through the bamboo forest tovLago Escondido- a marshy little lake with an amazing reflection of  a rocky peak and the surrounding forest.  After eating lunch at the viewpoint, I continued on to a trail to Llao Llao, a resort on a peninsula with beautiful views up to the surrounding peaks and across the lakes and with lots of lupine and douglas firs growing around the golf course.  The lodge reminded me a lot of Paradise lodge at Mt. Rainier- big timbers in the interior and a big lobby with really high, timber ceilings.  I didn´t walk around in the lodge for long since it was really fancy and I was dusty, sweaty and smelled like sunscreen.  I caught a bus from the bottom parking lot to Cerro Campanario, a touristy little peak where those that don´t want to hike up the steep, dusty trail can instead ride a chairlift (or aerosilla in spanish, literally "airchair") to the top.  I hiked cause I´m cheap.  The views from the top were spectacular...360 degrees over the lakes to all the mountains and east to Bariloche.  There were cedars and doug firs up there too!  I spent awhile on the top enjoying the view and watching the people attempt to get back on the chairlift to get down (most people up there had clearly never skied before!).  After my hike down, I caught a bus back into town.

On the morning of 2/24, I caught a morning bus to the little ski village Villa Catedral to begin my 3 day trek.  Again, there was a chairlift I could have taken to the top to cut off some hiking, but it was kinda expensive so I opted to walk.  The guys at the information booth gave me a ski trail map and I hiked up three ski runs probably at least 3500 vertical!  Luckily I didn´t have to hike right under the lift that everyone was riding, but was able to follow some mountain biking trails through fields of wildflowers (Mom has some of the flowers in the garden, but I can´t think of their name right now) and short stretches of shady lenga forest.  And the views were amazing!  Out over the water to far off mountains in Chile I think!  About 3/4 of the way up, I did have to switchback up right under a lift, but it was closed for the season so there was no one around.  The ski resort actually looked really good- the upper parts were lots of chutes and cliffs on side side and big open bowls on the other.  The lower parts were lots of steep runs and tree skiing.  I joined the main trail at the top of the tourist chairlift and continued on to a pass at the ski area boundary.  From the pass you could see into the next river valley and on to sharp, rocky peaks like the eastern parts of the North Cascades.  In the distance I could see Monte Tronodor, which actually looks really similar to Mt. Baker, with lots of big glaciers.  I traversed along the ridge of the Cordón Catedral, a messy mass of granite spires and giant clumps of annoying rocks that I had to climb over constantly.  There was really no trail at all, just red spray paint patches and arrows everywhere.  Eventually, I dropped to the east into another little valley with two lakes and Refugio Frey (refugios are mountain huts where you can stay- most have services).  The little green valley was surrounded by the sharp spires of Cordón Catedral and Cerro Catedral Sur.  There is actually a ton of trad climbing in the area and I could hear the climbers talking well after dark.  I found a nice little campsite at the opposite end of the lake from the refugio and had a wonderful evening with no one around (most of the campsites I have stayed at are really loud and dirty).  I had to get out of my tent to pee after dark and the stars were incredible!  It is really cool to see the stars of the Southern Hemisphere.

Yesterday morning I got up really early to avoid the heat on my climb out of the valley.  It was great- I didn´t see a single person until I got to the next refugio!  Once out of the valley where I´d stayed the night, I had a long, steep descent into the next river valley, again with no trail.  I was really happy no one was below me (or above me for that matter), cause it was really hard to avoid knocking rocks loose every now and again.  Once I descended to the valley bottom, the trail wandered along at the edge of a bright green lenga forest dotted with wildflowers.  There were lots of pretty little streams and lots of little birds chirping.  Eventually, I began climbing again and crossed into the next river valley after another steep ridge.  The view at the top was incredible again!  Across more rocky peaks, some with snow now (I was going west) and down to deep blue Lago Jakob and Refugio San Martín where I was camping for the night.  After another ridiculously steep and rocjy descent, I set up camp in a patch of lenga trees and took a nap.  In the afternoon, I wandered up across glacier-polished granite slabs to Laguna de los Témpanos in a little cirque above Lago Jakob.  Lots of little waterfalls trickled over massive granite cliffs below snowy peaks down into the icy water.  It was REALLY hot so I decided to go for a swim, i.e. I ran in, went under, couldn´t breathe cause it was so cold and then ran right back out again.  I sat on a slab in the sun and was warm again in no time.  I had the lake to myself for 1.5 hours!  It was wonderful.  I sat up there for about 2.5 hours total just soaking up the sun and the view and then hiked back down to camp for dinner.

This morning I slept in and began my hike out.  The hike was pretty boring actually- lots of down, then lots of flat and then some up and then some more down.  T first the trail was in a really thick bamboo forest, making it impossible to see anything, but at least it was shady.  After awhile the trees got thinner and it was really really hot again.  The trail sometimes went along a pretty mountain river with enticing deep clear blue pools, but otherwise was boring.  There was some kind of trail run though so sometimes guys in yellow spandex, shin guards and bike helmets would go running past.  The trail ended on a dirt road about 5km from the main highway with the buses (Lonely Planet lied again!... no buses ran along that road!).  There were some police types at the trailhead and they told me which way to go.  After about 5 minutes of walking on the road, one of the policemen pulled up in his truck and gave me a ride!  After about 1km, we came across an Israeli couple I met yesterday at the lake, trying to hitchhike, so they joined us too.  He took us all the way down to the highway and a bus came in about 5 mins so I got back just fine!  I just made a yummy dinner at the hostel and had some beer so I´m happy! 

Tomorrow I head to El Bolsón, 2 hrs to the south for some more hiking and hopefully some of their microbrews that they´re famous for!  Bye!

P.S.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT!!!!!!!!  I wish I could be there :(  I know the patrollers will take really good care of you though!

 

About megan_skinner


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.