Existing Member?

Dubai Discoveries

Bahria Restaurant / Jumeirah Beach Residence

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [135] | Scholarship Entry

So Dubai you say? Hmmmm, not so sure. Gleaming white floors and glass sky scrapers aren’t really what I had in mind for a getaway from London. I’d definitely describe myself as more of a rough around the edges type, oldy world with a side of quaint. I mean Barcelona is one of my favourite cities to have visited, the gothic vibes and nuances of eroticism. So how would I fair in Dubai, a place I perceived to be rigid, strict and almost soul-less. Well, after much thought about where best to stay, perhaps the lakes, how about downtown, hmmm maybe the marina? I finally set my sights on Jumeirah Beach Residence. My home for my 10 day stay was the Ocean View Hotel, which from the front overlooked Jumeirah Beach and from the back peered above the Dubai Marina with it’s array of boats neatly lined up on the almost electric blue water.

Strolling along what is known as The Walk, which I can only describe as a ‘multi-strip’, you’ll encounter a multitude of entertainment with a real buzzy, cultural atmosphere that continues late into the night. You’ll come across an open air cinema, camels being ridden along the beach, groups of friends sitting on brightly coloured, oversized cushions smoking shisha, children scaling the oddly shaped play contraptions, sand sculptures, an outdoor gym as well as giant ‘selfie’ screens for capturing the perfect photo-opp.

Any who, night one and my friend and I are on mission-eat when nestled between large known chain restaurants we were drawn into an intriguing spot called Bahria. Not knowing what to expect we quickly discovered that this was definitely a seafood restaurant, an extremely impressive one at that. On entry, you’re greeted with an assortment of fishy friends displayed on crushed ice amid great lighting, making the decision for an indecisive person near impossible. We decided to go totally OTT on the ordering front so when it came our table was filled to the corners with jumbo prawns, calamari, crab and seabass. Our mercenary seafood buffet attracted the attention of a nearby group of friends and became an ice breaker to a night of story sharing, tips and rapturous laughter. Our new friends were South African expats who we turned out to have much in common with. Ending with an exchange of contact details we hung out during the remainder of our trip and still keep in contact via Skype and Whatsapp. Conversation inevitably always reverts back to our Bahria night and the anticipation of round two.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About meesh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.