Existing Member?

Looking for Clews

Day Two

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 17 June 2017 | Views [519]

Day Two 16.6.17 

Distance travelled : 503.3 

 

Today wasn't quite the early start we had hoped for... 

 

We both woke up at 3:45am needed to go to the toilet. You need a high level of coordination to be able to get down from our bed. It sits above the drivers cabin and there is only about 50cm between the mattress and the roof so space is very limited. It's safe to say that when you are half asleep in the dark at 3:45 am there is basically no coordination making a trip to the toilet a mission. 

 

By the time we finally managed to get back into bed we were wide awake and unable get back to sleep for a while. This meant we didn't get up until about 9am. 

 

We had one last look at the river/ocean meeting place and then took off at 10am. Destination .... Kalbarri. 

 

Last night I made sandwiches for us to have for lunch today however, whilst travelling along North West Coast Highway a sign grabbed my attention. It read 'Dongara Bakery'. It was at this point I lost all self control, all I could think was PIE. 

 

It didn't take much for me to convince my driver (Leanne) to drive Britney into the little town of Dongara for some Bakery goodness. We grabbed a pie each and headed for seaspray beach for a view with our lunch. 

 

Back on the road we went and this time I WAS ALLOWED TO DRIVE... I was very excited about this however by the second corner I had a backseat driver. It wasn't until she started reading her magazines (old lady magazines like 'Who' and 'take 5') I got some peace a quiet.  

 

Quick pit stop at Geraldton for fuel (Gero family I will stop in and see you on the way back down) and then it was non-stop to the beautiful Kalbarri. I did accidentally drove past the 'welcome to Kalbarri sign' which meant a slightly dangerous 5 point turn on a thin road (insert backseat driver, who by this stage was sitting at the very back of Britney enjoying a nice cold beer). 

 

The view of Kalbarri foreshore is beautiful as you come over the top of the hill. Not far down the road and we have reached our destination, Murchison Caravan Park. 

 

This park is very different to last nights one. It's much bigger and seems to have a lot of people here. Still a lovely park and is right on the waters edge. We have two nights here so will do more exploring tomorrow but for tonight we went down to the waters edge to watch the sunset (checkout the photos with the waves crashing in front of the sun) then had dinner at Gilgai Tavern. 

 

I'm assuming this is the locals hangout spot as it wasn't the most appealing place to the eye however the people were great and the food was yummy. We got a couple of drinks and headed for the pool table, Leanne was breaking and managed to send the ball flying off the table into a group of locals first shot. Embarrassing much... 

 

After dinner we watch a little of the football, North Melbourne started to frustrate me so we headed back to the van where we had the intention of watch a movie. I fell asleep very quickly obviously exhausted from all my driving. 

 

Tomorrow we explore Kalbarri and do the sunset Horse back ride through the waters of Kalbarri so stay tuned for episode 3.

Tags: britz, dongara, guilderton, kalbarri, perth to exmouth, western australia

About meclews


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.