Existing Member?

Unusual Travel Hint

Nature's Hidden Treasure

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

When most people think about beaches, they always have the same thought, the exact same definition in mind.

They tend to picture themselves in a fun afternoon, surrounded by a crowd of excited children and people soaking up in the sun.
The sand, the heat, the ocean and the warm summer air. Just thinking about it brings joy to their faces. But that thought akways made me cringe with dread from the inside out, so I it was impossible for me to hide the surprise in my face when my boyfriend invited me to go on a five-day road trip to the Jericoacoara Beach.
I was utterly shocked by the invitation, but somehow he convinced me to go. I had just turned eighteen and that would be my first trip without my family.

Jericoacoara, unlike other beaches, is a quiet, calm place. Like some sort of nature's hidden treasure. You can easily find yourself lost in the middle of the sand dunes, so when my boyfriend and I were feeling exhausted from all the walking and bored of looking at nothing but sand, we decided to head back to the inn to rest. We had already gone to see the Pierced Stone, a must see for all the tourists in Jericoacoara, so we could call it a day.

As we were heading back to the inn, with sore feet and an urge to lie down, I noticed the sun was getting really low, and the bright blue sky was gradually turning into an intense mix of orange and pink. When we reached the porch of the inn, I spun myself around when I saw the starstruck look on my boyfriend's eyes. He seemed to be amazed by something, and when I followed his gaze I immediately gasped with delight.

My mouth was hanging open, as I watched the sunset. I was truly amused, and shocked at the same time by how stunning the view was. The sun was setting into the ocean, and suddenly the sky was looking like a Van Gogh painting. With shades of blue, orange and pink coloring the entire beach. Like some silly character in a movie, I was scared that if I moved my gaze, that beautiful view would vanish in seconds, so I just stood there, watching the most incredible sunset I had ever seen in my eighteen years of life.

''What is this? How is that possible?'' I asked the inkeeper.
''That's how it is here. The sun sets into the ocean. Beautiful, isn't it?'' He replied, and I just nodded in agreement as I watched the sun slowly disappear inside the blue sea.

I always find myself wondering if one day I will be able to see all the sunsets around the world and if so, how starstruck they will make me feel.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mcunha


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.