Existing Member?

The Book

Where's the Australians?

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 16 December 2010 | Views [138]

So I'm fresh off the boat. Arrived in Sydney around noon, 7ft surfboard bad in tow. I'm staying in a place called Campsie with a friend of a friend... of a friend. Canadian guy in his early sixties. He's letting me stay for free for a week or two while I get settled. 

I arrive in Campsie off the train and instantly think I got off the wrong plane. It was like walking down a road in China. All chinese words on all the shops, all asian people. Where were the Australians? Died of heat stroke carrying my surfboard bag and 2 other bags down the road. 

I got freaked out when cars drove by. In the front left side of the car, American drive's side, there was women putting on makeup, people asleep and kids that can't reach the pedals. Then I realized the steering wheel is on the right side. They were actually in the passenger seat. Strange. 

I made it to the apartment, they call them units, and waited for my Australian (or Canadian I guess) ambassador to arrive. There was a note that said, "beers in the fridge". Cracked one open and chilled on the balcony. 

 

About mcohen1282


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.