Existing Member?

Meagzpeditions

Stumbling into Spitz

AUSTRIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [180] | Scholarship Entry

How a Small Misstep Led to a Big Adventure in Wachau

During my family’s first visit to Vienna, Austria, the beauty of the Imperial City enthralled me, but an itch to see the countryside began to tug at the corners of my trip itinerary. My sister (an American Au Pair in Vienna) arranged for our family to cruise the Danube River and explore the famed Wachau Valley. An hour ride out of the city by train brought us to the delightful Krems An Der Donau, one of Austria's oldest towns. In Krems we boarded MS Prinz Eugen, a DDSG Blue Danube sightseeing cruise boat and settled on the top deck, prepared to gaze in wonderment. We docked first at the stunning town of Dürnstein, and the four of us rushed across the gangway, gazing in awe at Dürnstein castle above. Then, to our horror, we turned to watch our boat depart. Later we would learn the place to disembark on this cruise was in Melk, the last stop on the tour. We were downriver, without a boat or a clue as to why the boat left or how to get back on it.

My sister found a solitary woman in the parking lot who eyed our motley crew with both humor and pity, for she said, "Excuse me, I am bound for Spitz now (the next stop). I can take you in my car to the next station. If we hurry, we may beat the boat.” And just like that, all five of us were packed into a VW golf and racing through the streets of Dürnstein with our driver narrating the sights. We rolled into the sleepy town of Spitz with just enough time to spare. Our rescuer’s parting words: “Get back on the boat, and stay on it.”

We found a restaurant across from the pier, with a view of the river and the terraced vineyards of Spitz. We ordered a bottle of wine, apricot schnapps, and dessert, a heavenly strudel with fresh apricots, syrup and meringue. The region is famous for its apricots and deliciously strong white wines. When the boat arrived, we met it at the gangway, wine in hand and laughing into the shocked faces of the crew who had left us behind in Dürnstein.

The rest of the tour was full of tears of laughter and views of castles, vineyards, clock towers, and magnificent Melk Abbey. On the train ride back to Vienna, we reveled in our adventure and of Spitz, our treasured secret spot. When we return to Austria we will overnight in the lovely little town of Spitz, exploring the magical vineyards and apricot farms. Sometimes, waylaying your plans (even by accident) can be the surest way to have a real adventure and find your own travel treasure.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mc_brogan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.