Existing Member?

i forgot my... Check Out My Trip to Tanzania

London - Tanzania Week 1

TANZANIA | Friday, 25 May 2007 | Views [556] | Comments [6]

I am almost positive that I forgot my travel alarm clock and vitamins. The alarm clock will not be too big of a problem because there is almost nothing to do once the sun sets and there are always some type of animals waking you up. Overall it took over 50 hours from leaving my home to arriving in Arusha, Tanzania where I will be for the next 7 weeks. I had a 9 hour lay-over in London which I spent figuring out how to see something worth seeing along with all my luggage. Don't ask me how I got on the right train and transfered to another correct train and found Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Trafalgar Square by myself (I will try to load some of these pictures soon).Once in Arusha the other volunteers and I did a day-long hike to a decent-sized waterfall. On Monday we moved 30 min outside of Arusha to an old agricultural school/place where we had orientation to familiarize everyone with what we will be teaching (HIV Awareness). In the last few hours our group has returned to Arusha and infiltrated the stores and internet cafes. After living off beans, rice, bread, and avacados most of the volunteers have found someway to get a bit of food from home (mostly through Snickers). On Sunday, the group will be split into five villages into our teaching groups. For 7 weeks I will be living with a Tanzanian family with a Tanzanian volunteer. Each of our groups have some Tanzanian volunteers who will be translating what we teach for our audience. Enough of the details. So far it has been difficult adjusting to the surroundings (AKA the food), but at least there are many of us in the same boat. Please go out an enjoy some mexican food for me. Miss you.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

yo Matt,
I figured the food would be a little rough. hang in there- 7 weeks is a long time but also a blink of an eye. I am about to embark on a 26 hour travel session to Japan. I will be out of touch for a week and a half but when i get back I will write again. that's cool you had a chance to check out some sites in London. I have always wanted to see london, scottland and Ireland. Since they aren't tropical they don't hit the list because my wife only wants to hit the tropics- can't say I blame her.

I am now in the new pad- working on my game so when you get back we can play.

I hope your tanzanian family is cool- that is a real experience for you- got to run
enjoy the experience


J

  justin martinez Jun 1, 2007 4:56 AM

2

Looks like you are having a great trip so far. Enjoying the pictures. Sorry about the food. When you stop by after you get back we will take you out for a good Mexican meal.
Take Care
Carol

  Carol Leach Jun 1, 2007 5:14 AM

3

Hang in there with the food. Do you like avocados yet?
We will certainly have Mexican food when you return!

  Mom Jun 3, 2007 12:39 AM

4

Hi Matt,
I left a message for you at another part of this site but wanted to say hi again from all the Tucson Friday night potters. They now have the address to this site so I expect we'll all be checking on your adventures as the summer goes on.

Good travels,
Stuart

  Stuart Goldberg Jun 3, 2007 4:57 PM

5

It's Sunday morning! The "epistle" goes international!Hope the food is improving, but know the experience is magnificent.

  Aunt Jude Jun 3, 2007 11:08 PM

6

mattie,
dude I'm so proud of you venturing off on your own to see the world and in the process give the people you meet something back. That's awesome! Hey buddy you have pics of London well when you get here be prepared to see two more countries in the short time your hear. We will visit Cologne and Paris in just two short days. That way when you get home you can tell everyone you visited Great britian, Africa, Germany, and France. ok buddy I'm out. Be safe and I love ya!
kris

  kris parker Jun 4, 2007 4:54 AM

About mbaum


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.