Existing Member?

euro08

Bourges France 2011

FRANCE | Monday, 27 June 2011 | Views [228]

After a six hour flight from Dubai we arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport and picked up the car for our journey down to Bourges. The traffic was horrendous.

When we arrived we couldn't find the hotel - had to ask some likely lads who used their mobile phone to locate it but we had to ring the owner - it was behind a nondescript green door with no number.

We were alarmed to find the room was over fussy and dusty and to make matters worse the shower was in a little cupboard under the stairs and included a toilet you had to back into as the ceiling sloped precariously close to your head. The staircase was narrow and precipitous so we decided to leave our heavy cases in the car and just take our pyjamas and a few clothes for the next day up to the room.

It was rather late so we had a simple meal at a cafe of moules and frites - and so to bed.

This was a three star establishment!

June 25th

What a difference a day makes! After a good nights sleep the room even looked charming - but there was no improvement on the bathroom!

A simple but adequate fresh breakfast and we set out to explore the town.

Bourges is a delightful town with quaint wooden buildings beautifully restored.

The cathedral and churches have beautiful stained glass windows.

We were amazed at the artistry of the pastry cooks at the patissarie and couldn't resist purchasing two gloriously decorated cakes as well as taking many pictures to carry the memory away.

The Abbey at Noirlac was a delightful tranquil visit on our way down to Cubjac.

We listened to beautiful music as they prepared for a concert on the weekend and had coffee and our Bourge bought cakes in the quiet courtyard.

Arrived at Cubjac obout 7.00pm and were met by Catherine and Maxence. Maison Marc is even better than I remember! Tastefully decorated and with every convenience in a tranquil setting - heaven!

The donkey and one of the cats were there to greet us as well!

They provided some bread, wine strawberries and delicious goat cheese for our pleasure.

Enough of driving for a few days - we will just relax and enjoy!

About mavis_prosser


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.