Existing Member?

An Aussie Underwater Adventure

Jewel of the Reef

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 May 2015 | Views [100] | Scholarship Entry

All adventures are exciting but you cannot always be prepared for the profound effect that they will have on you.

I stood on the deck of the cruise ship enjoying the sun on my back and the tranquillity of the ocean waiting for my turn; finally I made my way down the stairs and into the dimmed light and warm waters of the Coral Sea.

I approached smiling staff member who tied a weight belt around my waist, another staff member placed the helmet over my head resting it on my shoulders. All of the crew were incredibly happy and attentive, who wouldn't be happy sailing on one of the world's natural wonders every day. After a few final instructions the air started flowing into the helmet and I carefully descended the stairs into an amazing underwater world.

Being very careful not to tilt my head forward which allows water to fill my helmet. The air pumping through helmet made sounds reminiscent of Darth Vader, doing the 'No, I am your father!' impression was inevitable.

Laughing at my own nerdiness I glanced out to sea, the alluring blue turned deeper blue and then black the farther you gazed, then I saw something move in the distance. Was it really there or was I imagining things, no, it was there and it was getting bigger, it was a grouper fish that Sunlover Cruises had named Wally, a company mascot. Wally would poke his head through the small opening in the cage mouth wide open as though he was ready to speak to the people looking at him from their cage. Moving around the viewing area showcased many wonders of the natural environment available to us including the spectacular reef below us which was the envy of endless SCUBA divers.

As I completed my time underwater I waited for the clownfish to pass me by and grabbed the handles of the ladder and carefully placed my flippered foot on the ladders first rung and negotiated my way to the surface. As my helmet broke the water I was greeted once again by the happy faces of the crew, the first one in line removing my helmet and placing it on the rack behind him, another taking the heavy weight belt. Once free of my diving gear I waded through the water to ascend the next ladder and emerge once again into the bright North Queensland sunshine. Some experiences are quickly forgotten but some shine eternally bright much like a newly ignited supernova, seawalking on the Great Barrier Reef clearly fits that category leaving any curious explorer with amazing memories that will last a lifetime.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mattpearson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.