Existing Member?

South American For Hello

Freezing in Chile

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 30 July 2011 | Views [460]

Next stop was Chile and a brief scare in the line at customs where we thought we were late for our flight made things tater interesting. I just try to stay out of aarons way when we are around airports and don't take offense to his remarks. Aaron is not much fun when A) we are within 2km from a airport or B) when something he is or has organized falls through. This list may grow larger in time but we will see!

So yes; Chile. I managed to befriend a businessman on the plane and chatted in English for a while. It was good before I thought I would attempt to try thank him in Spanish for talking to me. I said mucho gusto: which my Spanish app says I like you. I picked ip a phrase book and read that that term has sexual connotations! Haha I wondered what his strange look to another passenger was about!

Santiago was the first stop for a day and a night before we made our way upto the snow capped alps where we were going to be snowboarding for a couple of days. Santiago didn't really impress me the way BA did. i mean there was still some great stuff but it all just seemed a bit of a downer and a bit of a void of culture. saying that there was a great plaza where isat and finished my book in the sun and everyone was out and about enjoying the sunny (albeit it chilly) weather. We cme across ¨coffee with legs¨in Santiago where itis like a skimpy bar but serving coffee in the CBD to all the workers. In truth the girls wernt fantastic and neither the coffee, but aninteesting experience no the less. Oh and another interesting experience was fast food in the city. i was starving (tango humbre, tango mucho humbre) and thoughtid check out on of these food stalls on the streets. they served me a hot dog with about a inch of advocadopaste on the top of it and a massive amount of mayonnaise on that. i cant say it was a fantastic culinary delight but was cheap and fast!

we caught a taxi up to the Fareollens region in the mountains in Chile where we were going to be snowboarding and came across some of the most winding rads i have seen to date. As well as getting a bit crook from the taxi driver gunning it around these tight bends i was also starting to feel for thefirsttime the effects of high altitudes. i began to find it very difficult to breath. This as well as not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without buckling over out of breath and dizzy was all new to me!

we got some amazing conditions in Chile where the first night we were there it dumped roughly 50cm of fresh powder snow. according to the locals this was the best they had had all year. and it dint stop for the whole next day. which mnade for some challenging snowboarding conditions when you have only got sunglasses and not goggles! it was relatively expensive to rent gear and pay for accommodation and i dont think any more than 3 daysup there would have been much good for me or my bank account!

We met the hostel owner when we arrived and he wasted no time in telling us how awesome his place was and how he had heaps of friends and that everyone came tohis hostel to drink at the night. Puncho was his name - an abbreviation of Fransisco.I mande the mistake on numerousoccasions in calling him Pancho.. which translated in Spanish to hot dog. needless to say i didn't really find it necessary to spend much time talking with him and neither did he with me! this hostel was the most challenging to date (I'm writing in past tense cos ihave since left). there was very little heating the showers were only hot sometimes and not many people spoke English at all. I still had a one good Friday night up there as well as watching the Chile soccer match on the Sunday.

the snowboarding was great and i was alot better than last time thanks, i think, to the longboarding i have been doing. the Best conditions where when it was clear blue sky and sunny but still cold enough to keep the snow powdery rather than melting it. we picked up some awesome snow days and i have got some good gopro footage to prove it!

there was thins one time where i ventured into fresh powder only to find out it was just below my nipples in depth! i found this out because when i crashed and couldn't get back up i had to walk through it for about 15m. now this might not sound hard and maybe even sound like a bit fun but i assure you it is not. because all my gear was rental stuff and i am too big for most Chilean sizes itdidnt really fit very well at all and every time i crashed i would get snow up my shirt and occasionally down my pants (pantallonies). so walking throng waist deep powder really took its toll. iwas freezing cold, exhausted and getting a bit `paniccy about getting out of the situation. in the end imanagedto compact nought snow under me to kind jump on my board on my knees with enough momentum to skim across the top of the powder. after this i finished the run and had to sit down and collect my thoguhts again!

apart from this snowboarding was great and i enjoyed the more relaxed runs where i could manage todo some chilled carving.

SO i made it thought 3 days snowboarding without getting injured until i went to leave the hostel and threw my backpack over my shoulder and went ass up on the ice on the balcony hearing and feeling a nice big click from my right knee. i shat myself! all the way to Santiago and all that nightbecasue although i knew it wasn't another ACL it still hurt like hell and couldn't walk very well at all. this would jeopardise alot of our upcoming adventures if it did not heal quick!

 

About mattmc

At work a few weeks away from leaving

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.