Existing Member?

South American For Hello

Before leaving

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 4 July 2011 | Views [408]

Well, here it is. A blog of sorts. my first one, i have withheld my personal ramblings from the internet (much unlike others) for far to long!

I must also at this point interject and note that being a child brought up in the 90s with access to computers i have abysmal spelling. while i think my vocab is okay (sort of) i will often struggle to spell a word. but in the spirit of documenting i will not be avoiding words that i cannot spell. i will simply try, and probably fail, to keep things as best i can.

it is now 8 days before i leave for Buenos Aries and i am at a lost in both anxeitey and excitement. I have not been traveling for this long time since 2004 when i was 19 and headed out on what has become a right of passage for most young australians. that being a trip to the UK and europe and of course a contiki tour. this trip is far from a contiki however thanks to the amazing organization efforts of my brother we have a very good itinerary that has got us traveling all around this amazing continent and having a good mixture of on and off the beaten track experiences. I will not go into the plans too much as you will hopefully discover these adventures through this journal/blog.

I must admit i have been rather blasé regarding packing and preparation. I have a sic backpack and a few other items but i think i have been overwhelmed by the amount of climate zones we will be spending time in and failed to put alot of thought into it. One of my biggest struggles was finding hiking boots to fit. i was told and recommended to travel in hiking boots as opposed to the ole shell toes as i would be likely to be spending lots of time on my feet. so i went in search of size 15 vibram soled hiking shoes. well lets just say that nowhere-in the world-sells these. i settled for a hiking boot that is made by the same guys that make our safety boots here at work. A lesser quality shoe but at least one that fits.

 

4/6

Well a quick copy and paste into word has revelled how bad my spelling actually is. Wow. Again i offer apologies. who knows at least i may learn to spell better from documenting this trip!

Also I see that I have had 12 views. This is something that I don’t get seeing I haven’t actually told anyone im writing this so chalking it up to casual internet browsers.

The day moves closer to flying out. I depart perth on the morning of the 8th and fly to syndney via adelaide with a few hours stop over at the airport there. I must thank my sponsers – riotinto : for employing me on FIFO for the last 2 years allowing me to accumulate enough frequent flyers points to pay for my return flights to Sydney and from Sydney to Buenos Aries and then LAX back to Sydney. Huzzarrr! And also I should be gratefull they have given me the 4 months leave I asked for.

So at the moment Im spending days getting the last minute things sorted. The ever increasing amount of toiletries and medical stuff I swear is ging to be taking up half my pack. Not to mention my camera gear!

Had a few goodbye drinks of sorts yesterday afternoon and im gratefull for the people who took the time to come down. Everyone was asking the same question: are you excited.

I feel like im letting everyone else down by not being ecstatic. To be truthful iti am excited in parts and even though im leaving in the next few days I still think it really hasn’t kicked in. not to worry though. I remember the same when I went to japan and it wasn’t until I was at the airport that I felt that euphoric feeling that is made up of anticipation, excitement, exhilaration and nerves that most people characterise as simply excitement when going into the clichéd “unknown”.

I changed a heap of money the other day. I have got US dollars for most of my travels through south America and english pounds to use while travelling in Cuba. I didn’t really want to carry a lot of cash on me, in case I was to lose my money belt or worse, get robbed. But it would appear that I need to carry US on me all the time for bribes and the sanctions placed by US on Cuba means their money and trde are not wel accepted there and also the major banks don’t want anything to do with them either. I was advised my travel card wont be accepted there nd they cant guarantee I will have access to my accounts while there either.

I also spent an amount of time streamlining my itunes today and signed myself up to the couch surfing website. Not updating my ipod for 4 months means I have to sort out a good mix of music to take with me and decide to take some tv episodes or not also. These are BIG decisions hey!! Haha

Come Wednesday I will forget about work and that will be it! Gonna have a few drinks with friends on Wednesday night and then snap into holiday mode! 

Tags: getting ready

About mattmc

At work a few weeks away from leaving

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.