Existing Member?

A Lo Que Puede Ser Cosidas A few words about a short trip through somewhere in South America that hasn't been decided yet.

Waking up in Sao Paulo

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 18 February 2009 | Views [566]

Just landed in Sao Paulo, I'm getting to like this "red eye" thing, fall asleep and wake up in another country.. too good.  

Very green here.. at least til you get close to the city. It didn't take long for Brazil to live up to its reputation for beautiful people.. Upon approaching the coral where you pre-order your taxi I fell in love with all 4 of the uniformly dressed cab ordering attendant ladies.

My driver was an elderly gentleman in which the extent of our conversation was my thanking him for a spicy cinnamon hard candy as if to take our minds off an hour and a half of traffic and the reckless driving. He did say something about my boca but didn't quite catch it all. About $45 gets you to central Sao Paulo. 

We passed a couple of the Favelas along the way, much more thrown together and denser than the ones I remember from Nicaragua. Passed sever prisons, all heavy, intimidating concrete structures. Saw a lone man standing in the median of the highway barriers eating fruit from a tree. A lot of random but "fun" architecture.





Michelle met me for lunch where an order for 2 is more like an order for a "few." (the sun is hot here) We later met for drinks with some of her other friends. We went to a restaurant called Piraja where I tried this beer they call Chopp (show-pee).



It consists of 1.5 inches of beer and 4 inches of foam (called "cream") As the story goes it is a craft to pour such a creamy head on the beer. A man can make a career out of this talent. If the craftsman leaves the pub for another it is known throughout town and all the patrons will follow him with their Reais (that's the money here)



1 day til Rio!! Now I was excited about this event but I found out tonight that not only am I going to watch but I'm going to be wearing one of the CRAZY COSTUMES AND WILL BE WALKING IN THE SHOW!!  MUY CALIENTE!!

Tags: rio, sao paulo

 

About mattjc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.