Existing Member?

Breaking out of NZ

India-Srinagar-Gulmarg

INDIA | Wednesday, 2 January 2008 | Views [512]

Delhi

Arived in Delhi to stay for 3 nights and meet up with a guy from the verest trek which I was unable to do due to the local food and unfortunatley saw lattle other than the main backpakers are which you feel more so like a walking $ sign then Nepal or Thailand.

Srinagar

Arrived in Srinagar on the mend and stayed in a house boat which was interesting, Srinagar soes not live up to the "Paradaise on earth slogan" stated on the welcome sign in fact quiet the opposite although apparently its all different in the spring when they clean the river and all the rubbish. There is a big millatary presence here with soldiers on nearly every corner

Gulmarg

It was nice to finally arrive in gulmarg, during the ride we rose up through the cloud to find blue ski and snow everywhere. Unfortunatly not enough to ride on so I met up with an Aussie, american and 1 iclandes and made a good effort to entertain ourselves while waiting cross country skiing was first, then sledding down a road to another town great fun, Snow golf (hitting plastic flouro balls round with the numerous rubbish bins as holes, Hiking we hiked to the top to the mountain which was 4500m and we could see into Pakistan and alot of the himalayas and apparently K2 and drinking smuggled beer which was labeled defense force issue only. After 8 days of this with no snow and little prospect of it coming it really to where thin so I headed back to Delhi to sort my ticket to Bangkok.

Delhi

Spent NYE in Delhi had mcdonalds and wnet to the only bar on the main backpackers strip where there was a few foreigners so had an ok time. Sorted out my ticket painlessly and was looking forward to leaving.

Tags: Snow

About mattjarvis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.