Existing Member?

My great adventure

Roma

ITALY | Saturday, 12 February 2011 | Views [599]

A lifetime in Rome isn’t long enough as the saying goes. I have just finished a week in Rome and fell in love with the city. I said from the moment I arrived I could live in this place. The city is fantastic and it has a real individual vibe to it. The food is spectacular and breakfast was the only time I wasn’t offered wine. And you cant speak of Rome without mentioning the women.. ahh bella donna !

This leg of my trip I had Mr Trugdian with me as we were supposed to go to Egypt but there had been some problems there so we decided on a week in Rome. We stayed at Donna Camilla Stavelli Hotel in Trastevere… yeah that is a mouthful in Italian. It is a 400 year old monastery located in the old fashioned ‘Trastevere’ neighborhood of Rome.  Trastevere hasn’t changed much over the years as the streets are cobbledstoned, washing still hangs overhead between the narrow streets and on every corner there are small shops selling food, wine or sweets.

Rome is a walking city as you would miss too much if you caught taxis or trains and it is so flat and easy to navigate we couldn’t get lost if we tried. Walking also gives you the opportunity to wander across sights and streets that perhaps weren't originally on the agenda.

Food was the priority throughout the trip, sure we saw all the important sites but at times I reckon that was just to kill a few hours until the next meal. We would be eating lunch and discussing what we were going to eat that evening and had to stop at each trattoria to check their menu in case we wanted to add them to our list.  I have eaten some of the most remarkable meals of my life on this trip. We would joke at the silence of our table once the meals were delivered as both Trudge and I just got stuck into everything.

I was surprised at how quickly I picked up Italian, in fact my Italian could almost beat my English now. Of course I only know food and drinks but I know them extremely well, I was in fact congratulated on my Italian a few times..  We followed the Italian meal of always having Antipasti followed by Primi (pasta normally), Secondi (meat) some side dishes then desert and finally espresso.  We tried not to do the full 4 courses for lunch and instead focused on Pizza and Panani’s normally.

One evening after a fantastic meal we headed to a little local bar for a night cap and after a few drinks were pleased to find the local derby soccer game between Roma and Inter Milan was on. It was one of the most exciting games I have seen. Obviously it was only soccer so I guess the excitement came from the noisy crowd in the bar screaming for their team to win. Like all great tragedies it didn’t work out that way in the end but we still had a great night.

Rome is certainly a city that everyone should visit once in their life and make sure you have sufficient time to not rush the city. It is supposed to be taken at a walking pace and even after a lifetime you still wouldn’t have covered it all. 

 

Tags: rome

About matt_whitmell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.