Existing Member?

the journey through the years

Past and Present capitals of one country

KAZAKHSTAN | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [95] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I travelled I was 10. Now I'm 22 years old and I want to compare two sities of my native country: the past and present capitals. What do you imagine when you are asked about "Kazakhstan"? I'm almost sure that the first picture is boundless steppe. But this is not so. Steppes are just one of the many attractions of this country. Shifting wind is constantly blowing in the steppe, so there is a posibility to see and hear the singing sand dunes. The sound changes, depending on the force of the wind. It is really wonderful!
Grandfather
The first city I visited was Almaty or its last name Alma-Ata, which means "The grandfather of apples". And it is really so! It is the city-garden, the city, which is surrounded by mountains. These mountains are like a safe guard. This beauty is simply impossible to describe, it is just necessary to see. Big Almaty lake is located right in the mountains among the fir trees; mountain rivers Bolshaya and Malaya Almatinka start their own beginnings with a small source in the rocks, which then becomes a violent with the cascades river. Glaciers in the mountains do not melt even in summer.
Near the village Turgen there are Turgen waterfalls, where you can enjoy horse-riding excursions in the mountains. The famous skating rink Medeo sports complexI is situated in the picturesque gorge Chimbulak and Medeu. At the moment Medeo is the most high-mountainous complex in the world for winter sports.
Grandson
The next point of my journey was the capital of Kazakhstan Astana. It is modern "young" city, so it is more like..."child". The design of the buildings amazes me with its ingenuity , and the main symbol of this city is monument Baiterek.
Astana produces interesting impression, but the difference between the old quarter and the new Astana is too striking. The modern part of Astana looks like a museum, where even the locals come to see the sights. Conclusion one: Astana is a city of contrasts.
If you are hungry, there are many restaurants where you can taste dishes of the European cuisine, and the Kazakh national dishes, such as beshbarmak (boiled mutton with noodles), koumiss (fermented mare's milk), bauyrsak (like doughnuts).
In conclusion I would like to say that visiting Kazakhstan you will enjoy not only the pristine nature, but also you can take a trip from the yurt, located in the steppe, in the "old green" city, surrounded by mountains and in a modern city with its tall buildings, offices and vibrant life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About marvel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kazakhstan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.