Existing Member?

Travel to Europe

Gdansk - a Ground Zero

POLAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

Poland is in between Germany and Russia. Therefore, in recent history, „Polska“ had experiences of totalitarianism and liberalism. Both Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia split Poland in World War Two. Germany started the War attacking Poland. And communism had its first downfall here. The city where all of this began is Gdansk (Gdanysk).
City of Gdansk is on the north of Poland, on the Baltic coast, counting around 500 000 people. At the Baltic shore is lighthouse giving marine-blue view at the Baltics. But the main attraction of this lighthouse is a window looking at the Polish territory. Aim good... Stedy... It is the September the 1st. Year is 1939. Bang! That was a bang into a civilisation, marking the bloodiest war ever, that defined a worlds destiny – are we going to have a totalitarian or liberal society world wide. Thank God – the liberals won.
...but in Poland, the totalitarianism was still in power. Now – the communist one. The land was devastated by a system that makes people not a responsible individuals, but obedient servants. Until 1970 and the protest of Gdansk shipyard workers. Than the proces led Lech Walesa with its Solidarity movement for reforms in economy. The strikes, the masses in the open, the priest martyrs, secret police, empty stores... The Victory. That is a storyline depicted by the corridors of the Solidarity museum. Gdansk was the eruption that brought the Berlin Wall down. That is why the part of the Wall is at the Museum.
Poland gives you an idea how big Europe is. Especially until 2004. It is possible in the Gdansk main promenade street in the evening on the bank of calm Vizsla bay. In the centre is a cathedral depicting the faith of Poles that gave straight to this people to carry on. They saw what totalitarianism is so the liberal world has in this nation a great ally. Gdansk gives you an inter-view – what term „historia“ on greek means- of our civilisation. I advice you to travel by train and to sleep sitting, but you can come to some town, take a morning tour, and take after lunch nap in the park.
Or at a Baltic shore here. For food – I recommend for breakfast and dinner bread and jam and juice from supermarket, and a soup for lunch. And if you are railing – at least that is my plan in future - visit Gdansk in during the trip, and stay for two days taking a break and enjoy. And seize an opportunity to meet some nice blonde Polish girl or boy for interrailing on. It is nice having a company..

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About marko-malencic


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.