Existing Member?

Hayastan am Bob Markarian Lawrence. In April and May of 2007 I journeyed back to Armenia (Hayastan in the Armenian language) to reconnect. My grandmother, great-aunt, great-uncle and great-grandmother were the only members of my immediate family to escape the gen

First Day in Armenia

ARMENIA | Saturday, 28 April 2007 | Views [716] | Comments [11]

This has been overwhelming to say the least. I wasn't even going to be at a computer today, but I'm exhausted and I needed to get a telephone number for someone here in Yerevan.

I got in about 2 a.m. from London. I traveled over two days and actually enjoyed the flights. When I was in London and found my gate, I sat by some people who were speaking Armenian. I got tears in my eyes to think that I was listening to our native language.

The airport was fine although there was a problem with one of the agents not having had to deal with an on-line visa before. It must not be too common.

I've been walking around Yerevan all day today completely in culture shock. I have to read every sign carefully and sound it out just like a first-grader. I'm getting along pretty well with my Armenian but at times my brain just gets tired and I speak English or under great stress - Spanish. This is also a city of one million people and, well, coming from little Port Angeles, this is overwhelming. There is also cigarette smoke everywhere and that has my nose completely stopped up. Luckily my landlady, Anahit, and her family don't smoke.

I also went to the Vernisaj market today. This is a huge market that stretches for blocks and blocks and everything imaginable is sold there. I saw 5 or 6 stall selling duduks, zurnas, dhols, bluls, kars, kamanchas etc. I didn't buy anything but an adapter for my charger. I will probably try again tomorrow, but I was just overloaded today.  Oh yes, crossing streets is everything I'd heard it was and more. Sometimes I follow some locals and use them for cover.

I'm working my way back towards the area I'm staying. There is a huge set of stairs called the Cascad that has shops and cafes on it and it culminates in a huge statue of Mother Armenia who sits atop a military museum.

That's plenty for today. I think I'm fortified for another foray into the streets.

Love to all and tsedesutyun,

Bob

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

yeah! you made it!! it is great to read your journal that you are sharing with us,thanks so much. good idea using others for cover when crossing the street, please continue to do so! always, leslie

  leslie Apr 29, 2007 1:22 AM

2

Hey Bob,
So interesting. Enjoy the motherland. :)

  Blogian Apr 29, 2007 2:20 AM

3

Carnal,
Glad that you had a good and safe trip. Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us. Take lots of pictures. Enjoy your once in a lifetime experiences! PR

  Mike Kelly Apr 29, 2007 5:19 AM

4

Hi Honey, We are just back from a day of looking at houses to buy. Saw some wonderful neighborhoods and had a nice afternoon with Ean. Todd and Natalie are down for a nap, I'm going grocery shopping and then a nap for me. I really missed you last night when I got to Natalies apartment (at 2am). Tomorrow we are going to look at a "totally tweaked out gay guys house ... pool, spa, cabana, landscaped as only gay guys know how, great house all ready to move in, good neighborhood, $150,000 (there abouts), then over to B&L's for the ritual backyard cookout.
Love you, think of you every hour and wonder what you are doing ..... Wish you were here with me and I was there with you! :-> K

  Kristina Lawrence Apr 29, 2007 9:17 AM

5

Excellent Bob.
I am so envious!
I am glad you made it alright and are getting along well. When you see Vache and Gevorg give them a smile and barev for me.
-Michael

  Michael Andrew Doherty Apr 29, 2007 5:25 PM

6

Hi Bob,
Thank for sharing. I'm happy that you made it to Yerevan and that you are able to cross the streets ok. It sounds like a very interesting place. I hope you continue to have a great time.
Peggy C

  Peggy Apr 30, 2007 2:11 AM

7

Hey Bob,
I am so excited for you and your adventure. Thanks so much for posting your experiences!

Mucho Amor de Grecia

  Jota Te Apr 30, 2007 6:53 AM

8

Bob,
pahr dev and pahddy loos! Enjoy, enjoy ! Say hi to Aram and Vartan and the gang! Can you bring me back some armenian cigarettes?
Egeszsegere! Ingrid

  Ingrid Larson Apr 30, 2007 1:29 PM

9

Pahdev- I can't believe you are already there. It is pretty amazing and overwhelming. I am so envious for you and I long to go again hopefully this fall.I am glad you went to the vernisage that place is always a big time consumer for us. Everyone wants you to buy something and will haggle with prices for hours! I hope you have an oppurtunity to go to Horvidad- where St. Peter was in the hole definetely go in the hole and to Geghard(the spear)- it is a monastary carved out of the, mountain and Nooravank it is a bit of a drive though.Even if you do not make it to these places you will have an amazing time with the people, they are so kind.The museums are wonderful and probably better from when I was there last because they were all under renovation. I know you are soaking up every bit of your heritage it is pretty awesome!
Much love to you!
Kelly

  kelly Asadorian Apr 30, 2007 5:50 PM

10

That is so cool you visited Garni. I wonder if you were able to go down to the valley below there are some very cool obsidian flutes an amazing natural sight.I just needed to say I told you to visit Horvidad - it is St Gregory the Illuminator not Peter- his bones are in Rome! After I went to bed I thought what the heck was I thinking.I was wondering if my dad gave you our friend Arturs #. It sounds like you have contacts but he is a wonderful person and if you would like his # let me know I'll get it for you. I'll be checking to hear all about your journey! I am so happy for you to be there!!
Kelly

  kelly asadorian May 1, 2007 5:04 AM

11

Hi Dad, just wanted to check on your progress. It sounds like your are doing fine, I knew you would, you adapt well. Kyle just gave me a goodbye kiss and said to say Hello and he loves you (Jake also). Take care and enjoy. We miss you. Love, Sarah, Kyle and Jacob

  Sarah May 2, 2007 12:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Armenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.