Existing Member?

When in London

Going with the flow of the Thames

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

My guide to history, art, ancient and imposing constructions, modern architecture, Shakespeare’s life and through the historical and yet, cosmopolitan Londoner atmosphere was The Thames, not a person. In London you don’t need a map for the city has a central magnet that attracts you to its greatest attractions. However, if your GPS stops working or somehow your sense of orientation fails you, just do like the boy scouts, follow the river. Let the banks of the Thames unveil the beauties of the city. That was what I did!

In a summer, atypically sunny, but chilly morning, I decided to take a stroll along the Thames to discover London. But before I could hit the banks, I felt forced to make my first stop. I don’t if it was the colorfulness of fruits, flowers and vegetables or maybe the smell of fish and meat or even the loud and deafening noise typical of street markets that made me stop. All I know is that as I bought my blueberries and stood there in awe, I felt completely absorbed by this vibrant atmosphere of the Borough Market.

As I moved on, my next encounter took me in a trip back in time, when I used to go to amusement parks. Only a war ship anchored in the docks of a historical city can provoke this kind of feelings. However, I must confess that as much as felt stunned and surprised by having found the ship, I couldn’t help realizing that there it was! Serving as home to the Golden Hinde, I finally had found my travel companion and tour guide: the Thames.

I went to the margin and sat on a bench, the morning breeze messed my hair, and I spent some time admiring the strength of the current that flows through the most vivid city in Europe.

I kept going further along the banks of the river to stop at my first history and literature class of the trip, The Globe. Not only did I learn about the history of the Elizabethan playhouses, but I could also have a sneak peak of the theater where I would later watch a Shakespeare’s play. I was exhilarated by the idea of being in his own theater and to be tasting English culture.

My next move would naturally be to follow the course of the river and spend some time gazing at Picasso’s works or getting puzzled with Miró’s paintings at this old factory building that houses the Tate Modern. But instead, I went off course. Great modern and ancient architecture appealed me to go another direction. I crossed the state of art, steel structure of the millennium bridge to find the proud Saint Paul’s Cathedral.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About marilia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.