Existing Member?

mariasmap

Why We Q'eros

PERU | Thursday, 26 November 2015 | Views [284]

I think we came to Q’eros because it provided a unique learning opportunity of indigenous communities. Seeing a completely different culture unaffected by western influence is rare and I think it can cause a big impact on someone’s life. I think it’s an experience that is almost more about the reflection than anything else. Someone could go through the same five days in Q’eros with a completely different mindset and get nothing out of an experience that for me was possibly one of my most influential. Not only would opening Q’eros to the public expose it to western influence, but this would also attract a new group of people who might not fully appreciate the power of the experience. I think it takes a certain type of person to learn from Q’eros, the type of people that I’ve been with for the past 2 months. We walked into our homestays with more on our backs than the family of six we were staying with owned. We participated in numerous ceremonies. We stayed with families in one room houses, sleeping between the designated kitchen area and the sheepskin laid out for the families to sleep on. We walked and ate potatoes every meal for five days straight. I watched two sheep sacrificed right in front of me, an experience that was both gruesome and mesmerizing. Something I continued to think about and analyze for the subsequent two days. I spent each day with a new unfamiliar family, yet still called them mom, dad, brother, and sister. I think all of this contributes to an experience that is difficult to duplicate. It’s an experience I’m still processing and probably will continue to process for awhile. I think Q’eros should remain available to those who can truly benefit from this lifestyle without compromising their culture.

 

About mariasmap


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.